The Tunehead Tavern
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish!

You are not connected. Please login or register

HOT GOSSIP ALERT: Everyone to Sandbagger's TODAY!

+2
Jimmy Lee
Bridges
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

I don't mean to be tellin' tales out of school, but I just heard from a buddy that Greg and JOHN BERRY are currently setting up their instruments at Sandbagger's.

EVERYONE GET THERE STAT. Sorry if it's a false alarm.

Bridges out.

Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee

Of course this would happen while I'm taking time off to see family in Cali. Damn. That's a fun group of guys and I'm sad to miss em'.

Keep me updated!

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Thanks for the heads up. I'm on my way (I'm sure Amanda will be thrilled).

Amanda Bridges

Amanda Bridges

WhatIthought189 wrote:Thanks for the heads up. I'm on my way (I'm sure Amanda will be thrilled).

Oh stop. The hubby and I are always thrilled to see you. Want to do Cafe Tuscano after?

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Sure

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

UPDATE: Marc David Nathin is IN THE HOUSE!!!!! He has a camera and mic - do we have a LIVE Greg\'s Solo ALBUM incoming??

Drum Solo drums are set up. Smaller than the Galore the Tour kit, but that may be due to the tinyish stage at Sandbagger's.

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

IT’S HAPPENING!!! Greg and John have taken the stage and announced that a set will begin at 5:30!!!

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Did Christopherson actually ask for luudes at the end of the show?

Amanda Bridges

Amanda Bridges

WhatIthought189 wrote:Did Christopherson actually ask for luudes at the end of the show?

We heard that too... very concerning if true.

Just an amazing intro for him tonight - showing up in surprise for that soulful solo on Intercity Dirge. I'd hate if he's back with TGOE partially due to personal struggles.

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

Wow. What a night.

After months of rumors, I can officially announce that CHRISTOPHERSON IS BACK.

He took the stage for a surprise solo in what Greg called their "Acapella Edition of Intercity Dirge". Was their closer of Canadian Traverse not the best they've ever sounded live? Berry and Christopherson were in lock step.

Greg, Berry and Negut had the stage at the beginning (they started about 30 minutes late), Christopherson and Gaffe joined at Intercity.

I thought they might fall off the stage during Canadian Traverse (their closer). That stage struggles to handle 3 sometimes, in that performance they had Negut, Greg, Christopherson, Berry and Delphine Gaffe for strings on the stage.

Delphine seems to have great chemistry with the band. Her and Berry were cracking up together on multiple occasions.

I am concerned about Christopherson. Hopeful he was joking (even though it seemed like he wasn't).

Marc David got film and used a boom mic to capture the audio. Greg asked him quite regularly how things looked and sounded. Greg remarked he wished he didn't gel it before the final song. It's possible we'll at least get audio of the night.

They teased a new album was coming soon. They tried to do a sing-a-long with the outro of WDTDCMN (ICHHHIMD) but not enough knew about Greg to join in (some thought it was another song). Greg laughed it off. Said they'd know all about him after Travelin' Again drops this Spring (woot, woot!)

Set Tonight:

Walkin' Shepherd
Flight of the Canines
WDTDCMN (ICHHHIMD) (Sing a-long)
Intercity Dirge (Acapella Edition)
Canadian Traverse

Grade A (a new track would have made it an A++)

Last edited by Bridges on Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Just got home from work. Caught the set last night (makes it set #5 from TGOE).

I don't know, this is by far the worst I've ever felt after a Greg show. Here's the set:

HOT GOSSIP ALERT: Everyone to Sandbagger's TODAY! Screen12

First - no, they did not play Tainted Importance. The night was just, weird. I do agree with the above that this is the most "refined" Greg has ever sounded live. Things were tight, and yes, as much as it pains me, Berry had great chemistry with the rest of the band. But, as "refined" as things were, they just lacked soul.  

Starting everything with a Galore song, even if it's a Greg Galore song signals a massive sea change for me. Even though they were over 30 minutes late to start I was so excited when Greg took the stage. But after 7 years of waiting, they don't start with Celtic Tango, Nordic Storm, or Arabic Ensemble... they start with Walkin' Shepherd? Bleh. They ended up starting with three Galore songs (if you include the sing-along) and only played one of the original "Sounds" songs (which they added vocals too... wtf?)

Christopherson screwed up his surprise intro by playing a chord too early. Everyone saw him. He wasn't really "there" all night. He played fine, but honestly when he returned I think all Greg fans meant that after 14 years of waiting, we finally were going to see Tainted live - at the very least, maybe a new song?

We got neither. They played a "new" song from the album that's been around for 5 years. They played it great. All the musicians there are clearly great at what they do - but it felt rigid, over-rehearsed, and frankly like they were playing for a paycheck. That's not TGOE for me. I listen to them for their acoustic creativity and unpredictability. This? This felt radio friendly.

It all would have been saved had they played Tainted Importance (what fans have been literally begging for since 2004). But because they started a half hour late, it was cut. I'm starting to think they'll never learn.

Last edited by WhatIthought189 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Amanda Bridges

Amanda Bridges

You have to look at the bright side, Eric. I know we talked a little about this last night - but the fact that they planned to play Tainted Importance is a huge step forward. For years Greg dismissed even the suggestion, the fact they planned on playing it is a sign of good things to come.

Last night was the most amount of fun I've seen Greg and his band have live since... 2004? (Definitely during the Rold years).

TGOE is back... and it's a wonderful thing.

Krunk Fact

Krunk Fact

Amanda Bridges wrote:You have to look at the bright side, Eric. I know we talked a little about this last night - but the fact that they planned to play Tainted Importance is a huge step forward. For years Greg dismissed even the suggestion, the fact they planned on playing it is a sign of good things to come.

Last night was the most amount of fun I've seen Greg and his band have live since... 2004? (Definitely during the Rold years).

AWSOME!

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

Amanda Bridges wrote:

Agreed. It's music to this tunehead's ears.

Eric, I talked to my source. He says to be patient about Tainted... it's coming. Greg\'s Solo

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Bridges wrote:Wow. What a night.

Grade A (a new track would have made it an A++)

#notmyTGOE

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

I do feel a bit better about things, though.

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

My source tells me that Greg is "ecstatic" with how the live version of Intercity Dirge turned out at Sandbaggers. He loved Christopherson's solo, thought the vocals were "haunting", and that Greg loved the sound with himself on the djembe and Berry on the drums (They even sped up the tempo for a bit).

He said he wouldn't be surprised if the recording ends up on the new album!

He liked how Canadian Traverse sounded too, but doesn't want to release a live version of a song that will be newly released on the same album. The next album perhaps?

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Wtf ANOTHER version of Intercity?!

Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee

WhatIthought189 wrote:Wtf ANOTHER version of Intercity?!

I... actually agree with this.

For what's regarded as a "weaker" song from sounds, it's odd that they will now have 3 different versions on separate releases.

Amanda Bridges

Amanda Bridges

I listened to Canadian Traverse today and it made me remember the beautiful version we were treated to at this show. Negut and Christopherson were just perfect. Greg was probably sharper live than I had ever seen him. What a special night that was... little did we know it’d be the last chance we’d have to see them live before COVID..

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Amanda Bridges wrote:I listened to Canadian Traverse today and it made me remember the beautiful version we were treated to at this show. Negut and Christopherson were just perfect. Greg was probably sharper live than I had ever seen him. What a special night that was... little did we know it’d be the last chance we’d have to see them live before COVID..

Yeah, probz wouldn't have complained so much had I known I'd have another years long wait ahead. Oh well.

In retrospect Canadian Traverse was a great performance. It was great to see Christopherson and Negut on stage together (despite them slowing down the tempo a hair at the end).

Still don't get why they started out with three Galore songs (for the love of God that two minute failed sing along for Why Did the Dog was so cringy), and I STILL don't get why they insist on playing Intercity at every live show. Would it have been so hard to sub those two tracks with Nordic Storm and Tainted? Especially since they were planning on playing Tainted anyways.

Good show regardless.. Hope it's not the last.

Marc David Nathin

Marc David Nathin
Admin

Hey! Never say never. Greg was very touched by these recent comments. As you all know he is taking the pandemic very seriously (for obvious reasons) but said he might see about getting the band back together to perform a “definitive” Travelin’ Again show this summer (likely outdoors). Said if they do it it’d be for the fans.

Fair warning, I’d be included in this show, too (apologies, Oldheads).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum