The Tunehead Tavern
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Travelin’ Again: The Legacy Continues: The Water Over the Bridge

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

Okay, not Track by Track! Greg wants to keep the interludes and concept a secret - but rest easy, Mr. Peasy! He did give his blessing for me to give a couple of details.

Track by Track Breakdown:

0. From Pocatello to Moscow to Olsecles!

ALERT - this is NOT a drill. Greg is back on Piano and he terms up with Pilsby for a new opening track in the re-release. Perfect, somber intro that has shades of “Searching” (while being much more emotionally resonant) before transitioning into a catchy house beat with great hooks! This track now ties Travelin’ Again to every release Greg has ever done (even the future Olsecles release!)

1. 101.4 Tuneheads Galore

What can I say about the first track? Not much. Just know it’s the first of a series of connected interludes that carry the concept of the album. Looking for a hint? Check out QOTSA’s Songs for the Deaf.

2. Pocatello Throwback: An Homage to a Legacy!

“And what a legacy that was.” Wow - this track feels like the band is about to be billionaires. Because this band discovered a time-machine that’s about to make them riiiiiiiiich. This track feels just like the band went back in time during the Sound Sessions and recorded this in between Arabic Ensemble  and Western Jingle. They even reuse some riffs out of context from the original album, Greg put it “if it works once, it’ll work twice.”

Berry channels Rold here quite tastefully and Pilsby carries the song with new material.

3. Portuguese Company (feat. Jeff Lambert)

If the first song signals the album’s influence from the Sounds album - this album marks the bands new direction with the album. Buckle in - it’s a fun one.

4. East African Shimmy

Wow - this track is FUN. It’s not my style with Greg but fans of Swedish Disco Jam will love this one. This track shows the bands evolution and potential when all members are on the same page. This is one of the tracks that was recorded before their 2014 break-up, but that chemistry is there in their tracks post reunion. Berry really shows his drumming talent here and PROVES he can use that talent to work with Greg’s style.

5. Interlude 2
6. Utah Jazz

This song is one of four tracks where Greg samples his favorite artists from widely different genres into a coherent piece.

7. Japanese Sword (feat. Alan Dermarderosian)

Greg pays homage to a classic 80’s B movie.

8. Interlude 3
9. Mississippi Swamp (feat. Tom Collins)

Greg and Tom Collins team up and deliver the most emotionally reasonably performance they’ve ever done.

10. Canadian Traverse        

Amazing to hear this song with the context of this album. WIT and I have talked about how this song (co-written by Christopherson in 2013) showed how promising this homage to Old Greg was - and it’s still amazing to hear. This is my favorite of the album. It harkens back to the band’s acoustic airhead roots as do many of their best tracks. So happy Delphine is able to handle the strings live - it truly has a powerful ending and I can’t wait to watch it in many sets over the years.

11. Interlude 4 (listen for Delphine in this).
12. Turkish Delight (feat. Delphine Gaffe)

The more I listen the more I love it. Everyone featured here was in the band’s 2018 lineup (Collins included too, I think).

13. Icelandic Crevasse

Greg shows that EDM is completely in his wheelhouse. Pils carries this from start to finish.

14. Bermuda Joyride

We’ve all listened. What can we even say? This is Greg at his most imaginative and shows what the band can do when they're 100% behind his vision. Greg takes a drag down into the 1970's and leaves with the biggest Mary this side of the Mississippi. This track is joy, pain, loss, coping, and loss again until it takes you to the edge of catharsis. It leaves you there with questions not unlike the ones that arise while watching the Post-Modern Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead. Berry even got Greg’s blessing to finish with a metal inspired closer - which Greg thought fit perfectly with the song. "The joyride continues without a ticket. It continues until we're gone." The only question we're left with is do we let go, or continue holding on and embracing the joyride. As Greg does throughout his Magnum Opus here.

15. Interlude 5 (haha! Too many hahas!)
16. Polish Sausage

Get ready, Stubbes! It’s a good one. John Berry remarked in his interview that Greg challenged him like JK Simmons in Whiplash, and Berry nailed it. Greg originally wanted Berry to do the Rold beat at Western Jingle’s pace but John asked if he could do something inspired from “Caravan” which Greg loved - as long as Berry agreed to all percussive instruments Greg wanted to include.

17. Scandinavian Festival

This track may be the album at its most ponderous. TGOE moves like a trance through the existential question of meaning in a world where you’ve lost the ones you love. He also features samples of my Dog Emily’s barks here - I was so happy.

18. Interlude 6
19. Nepali Woman, Antarctic Man

Greg slays it with EDM. Pilsby was asked to deliver a planet by Greg and Livingsdale and David responded with the world - and what a moving story! This is where David seals his status on the album.

20. Moscow Boogie (feat. HIOYW)

This is a hard rock track featuring Delphine on the cello  and it may be objectively the best track Greg has ever released (though my heart will always be with tracks like Traverse)

21. Interlude 7 (Final Interlude)
22. Outback Steakhouse

Greg lands his album with the most traditional country/folk song his band has ever done. It laments how our past can never be recovered but that there’s still reason to hold onto hope for the future. A beautiful way to tie up the album and it’s concept - and Greg even relishes the celebration of the album’s finish himself here (which is so fun to see).

Award Ceremony

1.  Rold’s Gold (CSMVP)

The close second MVP reclaims his prize that he so sadly lost in the Galore album - proud to have him back showing how he bring GO’s vision into reality, we have none other than David Pilsby! Pils shines on many tracks but absolutely stands out in a couple and is a big part of why this album is memorable.

2. In the Tom’s Tonight (Surprise Performer Award)

This award, established after Tom Collins belted his heart out on Galore, is the surprise of the ceremony. The winner goes to someone that I didn’t know was featured outside of his first ever guitar playing in Turkish. We have Greg’s social media manager, Marc David Nathin (runner-up Delphine Gaffe - she is really something and SHINES here). “What?” You ask. “Why, MDN wasn’t mentioned, you say. Yes, you are right about that - however, MDN shines throughout this album and shows he can apply his witty creativity and candor on the air, too. His at times too sharp sarcasm over Greg keeps him from the CSMVP, but since Greg was okay with it (he never takes himself too seriously) MDN deserves praise all the same!

3. The “Maybe Next Time, Champ” award.

The winner for the third straight performance came so, so close to getting out of the hole, but in what was my hardest decision of the night, Mr. Berry takes the award yet again. To be honest I can’t really think of anything he did wrong - outside of the band’s 2014 breakup, of course. It is with sincerity that I say that John may be the best musician in the band and you can tell John is 100% committed to Greg’s vision for the first time (even though Greg’s classic approach and the Oldheads such as myself would have preferred Rold). However, Berry’s effort is commendable, so much so that for the first time, I seriously tell you, “Maybe Next Time, Champ.”

4. The Olsecles Award (Album MVP)

This one is obvious - but it’s worth saying any way. Drum, Rold, please - Burum, burum, burum, burum, The Olsecles Award, named after the Greek God who so accidentally but monumentally gave us sound at all, the album MVP goes to the originator of the musical revolution himself, winning for the third album in a row, we have Mr. Greg Olsen. No one deserves it more, my friend!

Album Rating:

9/10 - this may be TGOE at its most fun - and memorable. Oldheads may bristle at some new experimentation, but Greg’s adventurous spirit shines from start to finish. Since this album would never be Enchantment 2.0, consider a 9 to be the biggest and most enthusiastic praise I can bestow. Congratulations to everyone involved, yes, you too, Berry.

Ratings of Previous Releases

Enchantment Demos: 10/10
Sounds Demos: 9.5/10
Sounds: 9/10
Honky Tonk Bootlegs: 9/10
Galore: 7/10
One Night in Pocatello: Introducing the Experience: 8/10
Pencil Enchantment: 7.5/10

The Water Over the Bridge Now (Favorite Quotes):

Christopherson: "This record has the most energy since our Enchantment demos."

Amanda (after listening to Nepali Woman & Moscow): "This is the first time TGOE actually feels like a complete band."

These quotes summarize what was ultimately an amazing experience listening to this album. Do I wish for the all acoustic band that delivered unforgettable material with the Enchantment Demos (so happy I have the only copy), the Sounds Demos, and the Honky Tonk Bootlegs? Admittedly, yes, I do. But this album is objectively their best musical composition and is their most catchy concept to date. Will it one day surpass my love for the Sounds Demos. Ask me in a year, but for now I'm on the third listen of my cassette, muhahaha!

That's the Water Over the Bridge now, and we'll see you all again at Greg's next release!

Bridges' out.

Last edited by Bridges on Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:36 pm; edited 6 times in total

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

I said it during Galore, and I'll say it again now - but I suspect your closeness with Greg removes your objectivity from this analysis. Greg is obviously under a lot of stress for this album to be received well after a 7 year wait and I know you're not going to let your friend down. We've talked about this since Galore's release, but I have to say it again.

And c'mon. David freaking Pilsby is your MVP despite the fact that the 6 year old, previously released and basically Pilsby-less Canadian Traverse is still your favorite track? That's a terrible sign. I'm now adjusting my expectations to about as low as they can be now (so basically another Galore).

Bleh.

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

WhatIthought189 wrote:I said it during Galore, and I'll say it again now - but I suspect your closeness with Greg removes your objectivity from this analysis. Greg is obviously under a lot of stress for this album to be received well after a 7 year wait and I know you're not going to let your friend down. We've talked about this since Galore's release, but I have to say it again.

And c'mon. David freaking Pilsby is your MVP despite the fact that the 6 year old, previously released and basically Pilsby-less Canadian Traverse is still your favorite track? That's a terrible sign. I'm now adjusting my expectations to about as low as they can be now (so basically another Galore).

Bleh.  

It's worth remembering that song quality and songs that I specifically enjoy are different things. If I were under oath? TGOE's best songs (from an objective standpoint) ever arrive near the tail-end of the album.

Amanda Bridges

Amanda Bridges

The songs I was able to listen to "Nepali Woman-Moscow" were beyond anything Greg has ever put together before. The potential these musicians have together really is incredible, and it feels like we could be entering an amazing new era for TGOE.

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Also, by your own admission, Berry's contributions were the worst on the album. I am completely aghast that Greg decided to bring him back after he caused the band to implode the first time. You may say he was on his best behavior and only playing what Greg wanted but I have a sneaking suspicion that the ear splitting metal section at the end of Bermuda was a Berry idea. You want to know why despite the fact that the finished product is vastly inferior to the released album why they have yet to come close to the level they were at on the freakin' Sounds demos, my only response is one man. John Berry. He was the one who forced Greg to record the sellout Swedish Disco Jam, he was responsible for the metal blast beats that RUINED ENCOUNTER SEARCHING TROUBLE and any metal sections on Travelin' Again are surely his doing. I asked Greg himself when I cornered him at Sandbagger's back in 2011 after another disappointing show and he was basically weeping as he told me that Berry's insistence on including that "heavy metal crap" was ruining his vision. Bridges, you are WAAAAAY too biased to have an honest opinion. You always told me that I keep you in check. I'm just being real.

Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee

This was a fantastic write-up, Jeff. We might disagree on the awards section but I'm mostly all in agreement with your track by track breakdown. Good stuff.

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

Jimmy Lee wrote:This was a fantastic write-up, Jeff. We might disagree on the awards section but I'm mostly all in agreement with your track by track breakdown. Good stuff.

Thanks Jimmy! What sort of disagreements do you have with my award choices? Always down for some friendly conversation Laughing

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

I'll need to add my thoughts on the new opening track. I know Eric thought the album wouldn't age well - but to the contrary - this album is holding up for me!

Greg and I have buried the hatched by the way - not that anyone asked. I sent him some Chik Fil A today and we had a beautiful conversation.

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

Updated OP with a review of the new opener. Decided not to review MDN’s works. No offense, buddy, but you already got the attention you need with your control over my forum. Ha!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum