The Tunehead Tavern
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Greg Live with Buck n' Thad

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Greg Live with Buck n' Thad Empty Greg Live with Buck n' Thad Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:34 pm

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Was anyone there to see it live? I heard Greg hired out Sean Jacobs films for the performance (it was Christmas Eve, right?)

A buddy of mine who was there said it was comparable to Nirvana's MTV unplugged. Said it was a perfect mix of Folk, Country, Christmas, and Greg.

Sean Jacobs is getting a bit of a reputation for flakiness, so perhaps that's what's causing the hold-up - but I'm stoked to see this thing.

2Greg Live with Buck n' Thad Empty Re: Greg Live with Buck n' Thad Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:45 pm

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

I've been trying to track down a copy for years, my inside connection tells me that we may see an official release sooner rather than later. I'm especially interested in their cover of "Thank God for Kids" by country music legends The Oak Ridge Boys.

3Greg Live with Buck n' Thad Empty Re: Greg Live with Buck n' Thad Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:56 pm

Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee

I hate to burst your bubbles, but I work at that bar and was there that night (Greg’s live shows are how I first met him).

I’m sorry, but any comparisons to Nirvana’s legendary unplugged performance are straight up laughable. This was just sort of a “typical” bar show. With maybe a handful of guests paying attention while the other guests were talking and going about their night.

If anything, it was memorable for other reasons. Thaddeus had a strange monologue about what he planned to cook for Christmas Day and went into a surprising amount of detail. Greg’s banter was what it normally is - but there was a strange moment during Thad and Greg’s duet of “Baby it’s cold outside” where Thad seems to realize how perverted the lyrics are (saying “oh no!” after one of the lines). That moment made me think the show likely wasn’t rehearsed. Pilsby was quite clearly drunk through the performance, his playing was off, and Greg remarked how much he had to pay him to be there - and iirc that’s when Buck said he wished HE were being paid too.

Greg was also so demanding of the film crew that I felt for them by the end of the night. It’ll certainly be an interesting performance if it ever sees the light of day.

4Greg Live with Buck n' Thad Empty Re: Greg Live with Buck n' Thad Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:25 pm

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Jimmy Lee wrote:
Greg was also so demanding of the film crew that I felt for them by the end of the night. It’ll certainly be an interesting performance if it ever sees the light of day.

You're lucky that I respect Bridges, otherwise I'd be calling your manager to report your disrespect towards a partner.

5Greg Live with Buck n' Thad Empty Re: Greg Live with Buck n' Thad Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:26 pm

Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee

WhatIthought189 wrote:
Jimmy Lee wrote:

You're lucky that I respect Bridges, otherwise I'd be calling your manager to report your disrespect towards a partner.

I am the manager.

6Greg Live with Buck n' Thad Empty Re: Greg Live with Buck n' Thad Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:33 pm

Amanda Bridges

Amanda Bridges

Jimmy Lee wrote:

I am the manager.

Rolling on the freak

A WhatIthought classic.

Do you remember what songs they played?

7Greg Live with Buck n' Thad Empty Re: Greg Live with Buck n' Thad Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:51 pm

Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee

Amanda Bridges wrote:
Jimmy Lee wrote:

I am the manager.

Rolling on the freak

A WhatIthought classic.

Do you remember what songs they played?

Some, it was kind of a strange set. They did a few Greg songs, few Buck n Thad songs and a few Christmas covers. They opened with The Walkin' Shepherd. They did a country western rendition of "Counting Sheep". The "Thank God for Kids" bit was just a sing a long but only a few people at the bar knew the song. About halfway through Greg invited Pilsby on stage for a Medley of Greg songs. Pilsby's tempo was all over the place at first, but had a nice little solo to end their Medley with Worldly Progressions. I can't remember everything in the medley. Started with Celtic Tango, had a few Buck n Thad songs (i assume) had Why did the Dog, Galore and Worldly in it too. Greg and Thad also kind of had this weird spur of the moment debate about whether a "classic song" should still be remembered if it had a terrible message. They closed with Intercity, by that time a lot of people were at the bar and most were talking. I imagine the quality will be similar to the other live Intercity, but the tempo was much better with Buck on the drums.

8Greg Live with Buck n' Thad Empty Re: Greg Live with Buck n' Thad Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:02 pm

BLACK WALL

BLACK WALL

As someone who got into Greg through Buck n' Thad, when I heard that they played a show together I was ecstatic! However, when I wasn't able to attend I was very sad pale almost to the point where it was hard to get up in the morning. Now that I know it was recorded I am happy once again!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum