The Tunehead Tavern
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish!

You are not connected. Please login or register

What an Experience! (Greg's Final Show in 2011)

+2
WhatIthought189
BLACK WALL
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

BLACK WALL

BLACK WALL

Does anyone have the story on their show at Expo Idaho in Boise in 2011? It was one of the two concerts recorded during the Galore era (the other being One Night), and it was their last show until 2018. I've seen a lot of comments about people being bummed about the show/performance, but this setlist looks pretty nuts. A lot of people thought this would be their last show when they split later. I thought I remembered people talking on chat that Greg said this would be call "What an Experience!" and would be the band's last release. Any chance we still see it?

First Set:

Rave of the Terrier from Yorkshire
Mating of the Hounds
Birth of the Collie Pacific (W' Drum Solo)
The Unabridged Serenade of the Pomeranian
The Walkin' Shepherd
Nordic Storm
An Alternative Conclusion
Oriental Pooch
Medley (Celtic Tango/Ballad of the Mute Mongrel/Why Did the Dog Call My Name?/Galore in the Place of the Dog/Worldly Progressions)

Intermission

Second Set:

Introducing the Experience
Intercity Dirge
Swedish Disco Jam
Indiana Blowhorn
Encounter, Searching, Trouble
A Remembrance of My Best Friend (Fluffy This Goes Out to You)
Western Jingle
Viking WAR
Arabic Ensemble
Counting Sheep (Airhead cover w' Tom Collins)
The Flight of the Canines

Encore:
Westward to Nowhere

Is there more to the story about the show or what?

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

If you are going to play your last show for your loyal fans, why the hell play it four hours away from your loyal fans? There was no reason to play it in Boise, especially with the East State Fair happening a couple of weeks after.

Bridges wanted to make it a “fun” road trip. He really wanted to see the Craters of the Moon on the way so we took the longer way up north. It was such a hot day and I got crazy sunburnt. It was okay I guess but we spent basically the entire day there. After I just wanted to go home but we still had a four hour drive to Boise and Bridges stopped basically six times to look at random sights on our way there. We stayed at a hotel 6. Bridges could tell I was upset but said Greg had a “special surprise” in this show, which HAD to be Tainted Importance, right? I’ve seen them a few times at this point, that had to be the only surprise they could give us. I kept reminding myself of this. If we see Tainted, all of this is worth it. 

The next day Bridges took me to a record store which was pretty cool and we roamed around Boise before going to Expo Idaho. When we got there I thought Greg was ****ing joking with us. They didn’t even have a stage for the show. It was basically a ****ing alley in the middle of a massive eating area. People were talking so loud you could barely hear Greg and the music. Worse, only about 8 of us showed up (PROBABLY BECAUSE HE HAD THE FAREWELL CONCERT 8 HOURS ROUND TRIP FROM POCATELLO). 

You say the set was great but I would have given it a solid C before the encore. Way too Galore heavy for a “farewell set”. 11/13 tracks of the first set including the Medley were Galore. Should known it was just another ****ing Galore show then. Even Worldly had Pilsby’s weird storm effects that he did on his re-release and they crammed Celtic Tango into the Medley (a huge disappointment). 

I swear Berry did a line during the intermission because he came out playing everything in double time. I hated Introducing the Experience on its release (whoopee, another galore track). That ass guitar riff is my least favorite thing Greg has ever done but seeing it after the intermission in double time made me find a way to hate it even more. It just felt like the whole band wanted to leave at this point. For all the **** Rold gets for the Galore's live Intercity release, imagine watching Intercity played at double time. Because I watched it, and gosh, Greg could barely keep it up with the harmonica. Berry didn’t play Swedish at double time, but at the same tempo he was playing everything else, which weirdly made me like it more. I just decided to call it “The Berry tempo” at this point. The dingleberries love to say his drumming was perfect, which, whatever, he didn’t miss a fill or anything, but his tempo was just off most of the second set.

The whole band was silent for most of the second set, which was awkward af since WE WERE STANDING RIGHT THERE. Pilsby basically had a middle schoolers keyboard just so he could fit up there with the band (sounded like a middle school production too).

Greg finally spoke after Arabic Ensemble (they remembered to play it, I guess), and said he wished “things had turned out better.” It was just sad at this point, no one (including us) wanted to be there. Greg then invited Tom Collins on stage and played Counting Sheep. It was a nice surprise they'd pull something from their Airhead cover band years. Weirdly, the Berry tempo and Pilsby's middle school keyboard fit perfectly and this was the highlight of the night. It shouldn’t of been, because Greg promised one more surprise and THAT HAD TO BE TAINTED, RIGHT? If they just play Tainted EVERYTHING would have been worth it.

Nope, Greg asks us to “pretend they left” before the Encore then goes on about how this song represents him “finding himself and how different he was” blah blah blah and then plays ****ing Westward to Nowhere. A bunch of people have given me **** for this but I don’t care. I yelled and just stormed away to find something else to do. I was so disappointed. After everything we did for the band could they have just said thanks by playing the song we asked for for years? After the drive, their shitty, high school tuned performance, and all the concerts we showed up at, was it really that much to ask? Whatever, I have no regrets.  

I hope we get a release because everyone can see what ass it really was. Truly one of the most disappointing days of my life.

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

I'm sorry you had such a crummy experience, Eric Sad

I think you identified what was hard about the show, and that was the fact that the band was clearly upset with each other - especially after the second set. From what I've heard about their argument during intermission... Berry's lucky Greg invited him back at all.

I do think you're being a bit harsh about the setlist. The second set Greg really dug deep in the catalog. Think about it - it couldn't have been a more comprehensive show. They played 10/11 songs from Sounds (if you count the medley), all 15 original songs from Galore, 1 out of 2 songs from Enchantment, and they even played an AIRHEAD cover!! The only two songs in their catalog that they didn't play were Roman Interlude and Tainted Importance. I think everyone wishes they would have closed with Tainted, but that was the only thing keeping the setlist from an A++, rather than just an A+.

Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee

Bridges wrote:I'm sorry you had such a crummy experience, Eric Sad

I think you identified what was hard about the show, and that was the fact that the band was clearly upset with each other - especially after the second set. From what I've heard about their argument during intermission... Berry's lucky Greg invited him back at all.

I do think you're being a bit harsh about the setlist. The second set Greg really dug deep in the catalog. Think about it - it couldn't have been a more comprehensive show. They played 10/11 songs from Sounds (if you count the medley), all 15 original songs from Galore, 1 out of 2 songs from Enchantment, and they even played an AIRHEAD cover!! The only two songs in their catalog that they didn't play were Roman Interlude and Tainted Importance. I think everyone wishes they would have closed with Tainted, but that was the only thing keeping the setlist from an A++, rather than just an A+.

Was this the show where Greg screamed at Berry for playing an extended metal style drum solo before Unabridged? I'm surprised Berry wanted to come back and play after that because from what I've heard Greg was especially insulting during this argument. Greg obviously wasn't too upset later to include a live version of Unabridged with drum solo intact on the Pencil Enchantment EP.

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

[quote="Jimmy Lee"]
Bridges wrote:
Was this the show where Greg screamed at Berry for playing an extended metal style drum solo before Unabridged? I'm surprised Berry wanted to come back and play after that because from what I've heard Greg was especially insulting during this argument. Greg obviously wasn't too upset later to include a live version of Unabridged with drum solo intact on the Pencil Enchantment EP.

The drum solo was recorded a week before his last show. I think it was fair for Greg to ask (albiet passionately so) to wrap up his solo early in what was supposed to be TGOE's final show.

It's TGOE not TJBE after all Very Happy

Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee

Bridges wrote:
Jimmy Lee wrote:
Bridges wrote:

The drum solo was recorded a week before his last show. I think it was fair for Greg to ask (albiet passionately so) to wrap up his solo early in what was supposed to be TGOE's final show.

I don't know, just seems like Greg was being a bit of a jerk. That conversation prevented them from playing with each other for years until recently.

BLACK WALL

BLACK WALL

Bridges wrote:
Jimmy Lee wrote:
Bridges wrote:

Wasn't that kind of the point of that tour, though? I thought every band member got some time to "shine." Pilsby got his Worldly, Negut and Shelling got their extended moments in Nordic or Walkin', and Greg always had moments too.

Was Berry's the only one he cut/shortened or did everyone get their moments cut?

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

BLACK WALL wrote:
Bridges wrote:
Jimmy Lee wrote:
Bridges wrote:

Wasn't that kind of the point of that tour, though? I thought every band member got some time to "shine." Pilsby got his Worldly, Negut and Shelling got their extended moments in Nordic or Walkin', and Greg always had moments too.

Was Berry's the only one he cut/shortened or did everyone get their moments cut?

Greg cut off everyone and they all threw a hissy fit. I was so mad at Greg for a bit that I thought the rest of the band was justified in forming their own project for a while, then I decided to think about it like an adult.

Amanda Bridges

Amanda Bridges

It was apparently a last minute decision by Greg at the beginning of the concert to cut everyone else’s solos (it’s why the band seemed upset) but Berry decided to solo anyway.

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Amanda Bridges wrote:It was apparently a last minute decision by Greg at the beginning of the concert to cut everyone else’s solos (it’s why the band seemed upset) but Berry decided to solo anyway.

Typical Berry.

BLACK WALL

BLACK WALL

What an Experience! (Greg's Final Show in 2011) N36407504_31735415_1766

Can we PLEASE not make this another Berry vs. Rold thread?

Stubbes

Stubbes

Greg should of have let Kip solo

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum