The Tunehead Tavern
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Interview with Mike Negut (Conducted on 4/18/2011)

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

Interview with Mike Negut (Conducted on 4/18/2011)  Texcom10

TT: Hello there, Mike! I want to express how humbled I am by your presence today, for someone living the life of fortune and fame to stop by for an interview with our tiny little forum means the universe to me!

MN: Don't mention it, Jeff, I will always be willing to take some time for the best Greg\'s Solo Experience forum on the world wide web!

TT: Thanks again, Mike, before we begin, I should tell you that we let FANS decide some of the questions today!

MN: Did you? Well I'll try my best to answer them! (Laughs) Gob Dance

TT: Gob Dance Okay, to get started, how did you come to be involved with The Greg\'s Solo Experience?

MN: It's sort of a humorous story, I picked up the bass at fourteen and have been slapping it ever since, I played in the jazz band at Bannock County's high school basketball games, and found the fat sounds to be so soulful that I decided to become a high school band teacher. I then taught at Bannock County for 27 years, my love for the bass was thick through this time, I even gave lessons on the side. By coincidence, I started giving bass lessons to Greg\'s Solo 's fifteen year old neighbor, and one day even talked to him as he was digging in his yard.

TT: Sorry, digging?
MN: I do not remember why, I think it was a favor for his father? Anyways, Greg\'s Solo told me that he was about to get his band back together and that if I ever wanted to "kick the babysittin'" that I should talk to him. I had no plans to take him up on his offer, but one day, I was sitting in my classroom, you know? And, I was ready, ready for.. .

TT: Something different?

MN: Yeah, exactly, it had always been a dream to play and travel with a legitimate band, but in this economy, I needed a steady stream of income, so Greg\'s Solo 's generous offer provided a solution to both of these problems.

TT: It's amazing how everything fell into place! When did all of this occur again?

MN: This would have been in the summer of 2008? Just after Greg\'s Solo 's father's funeral.

TT: And may he rest in peace, moving to the first of the fan questions, WhatIthought189 wonders whether if Christopherson's legacy created any challenges to being a new member with The Greg\'s Solo Experience?

MN: Definitely! I found out right away about Christopherson's legacy and realized that I had some pretty big shoes for my feet to fill. However, the majority of the challenges arouse in the recording process, With Greg\'s Solo 's unique vision, I felt like I was in the wind as to what he expected me to record. I can not tell you how many times I wanted to stomp out of the studio when I saw him doing his "lean" against the wall. There were days we were in the studio until the wee hours of the morning, but what I came to learn is that he simply expects all of us to perform at 120% of our capability.

TT: If I dare add in a wrinkle, I would love to tell you that you have certainly found your place in the band, The Flight of the Canines (A Berry/Negut composition) may be my new favorite Greg\'s Solo track.

MN: Thank you! The roots to that track can actually be traced back to the Sounds era, John and I wanted to add something to the album in the vain of Celtic Tango, but Greg\'s Solo didn't feel it fit that particular work. What we had eventually evolved into the main riff of "Flight," and we put the rest together during the Galore writing process, John and I thought both thought we created something powerful when the work was finished!

TT: You certainly did! Asking another fan question, BLACK WALL wants to know which of your bass work is your favorite?

MN: I have always taken pride in the work I did for "WDTDCMN," "Trouble" "Viking War," the lines throughout what "Galore" turned out to be, and the bass licks I added to the end of "Rave."

TT: In my opinion, "WDTDCMN," is one of the most daring songs off of "Galore," can you talk about the writing process for that track?

MN: Haha, that is a day I will never forget, Greg\'s Solo stormed into the studio saying he had a vision in the tub about the perfect song for the next album, he was performing in five minutes, and said the track was a "game changer" for the album. I have to say, it seemed very different at first, but the entire band had jumped in and contributed by the end of the day.

TT: That's very enlightening! Last question, this one was asked by Amanda of our forum, she wants to know what your favorite bass lines are of all time.

MN: That's actually a pretty diverse list, I would have to mention "Dazed and Confused" by Led Zep, "Natural Born Killaz" by Ice Cube, and pretty much the entirety of "Rumours" by Fleetwood Mac.

TT: Mike, it's been a pleasure. Gob Dance

MN: I have been the pleasured one, thanks Jeff! Gob Dance

Last edited by Bridges on Tue May 08, 2012 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Twizz

YAWN. Fckkin' boringgggG!!!!

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

Twizz wrote:YAWN. Fckkin' boringgggG!!!!

Whooooa, Twizz, you are definitely allowed to express your beliefs on this forum, but I ask that you maintain a high respect for the members of The Greg\'s Solo Experience, I am afraid I am going to have to deduct an Olsen Buck for this specific contribution.

Last edited by Bridges on Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:33 pm; edited 2 times in total

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Bridges wrote:
..but one day, I was sitting in my classroom, you know? And, I was ready, ready for.. .

TT: Something different?

lol! , That's still the best spin I've seen on this story thus far, this is as laughable as Berry claiming he's now a metal drummer.

Mike Negut wrote:
Definitely! I found out right away about Christopherson's legacy and realized that I had some pretty big shoes for my feet to fill.

I love how he skirted around my question, he, and all of the non-colorblind fans of THE GREG OLSEN EXPERIENCE, (I am done looking at that stupid fucking smiley) are well aware that no one will ever replace Christopherson.

Last edited by WhatIthought189 on Tue May 08, 2012 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Amanda Bridges

Amanda Bridges

WhatIthought189 wrote:

lol! , That's still the best spin I've seen on this story thus far, this is as laughable as Berry claiming he's now a metal drummer.

Spin on what "story?" Oh, you mean the oh-so-valid rumor that he was fired for showing an explicit video in his class? Yeah, talk to me when you have a source other than a high school student.

WhatIthought189 wrote:
I love how he skirted around my question, he, and all of the non-colorblind fans of THE GREG OLSEN EXPERIENCE, (I am done looking at that stupid fucking smiley) are well aware that no one will ever replace Christopherson.

Negut has already eclipsed Christopherson's contributions to this band.

Last edited by Amanda Bridges on Tue May 08, 2012 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Amanda Bridges wrote:

Interview with Mike Negut (Conducted on 4/18/2011)  Tumblr_m1po0gjoEn1rqfhi2o1_250

Amanda Bridges

Amanda Bridges

WhatIthought189 wrote:
Amanda Bridges wrote:

Interview with Mike Negut (Conducted on 4/18/2011)  Tumblr_m1po0gjoEn1rqfhi2o1_250

Are you planning on dropping your statements about Negut's alleged "firing" then?

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Amanda Bridges wrote:
Are you planning on dropping your statements about Negut's alleged "firing" then?

Look, I already explained this to you on dozens of occasions on the old forum, if you're choosing to ignore the obvious truth to this situation, that's fine, but until you can answer why someone who taught for 27 years chose to drop everything for a project like TGOE, I'm not budging on this.

Anyways, I'm done wasting my time on this issue.

Last edited by WhatIthought189 on Tue May 08, 2012 5:05 pm; edited 2 times in total

Amanda Bridges

Amanda Bridges

WhatIthought189 wrote: but until you can answer why someone who taught for 27 years chose to drop everything for a project like TGOE, I'm not budging on this.

Mike Negut wrote:
Yeah, exactly, it had always been a dream to play and travel with a legitimate band, but in this economy, I needed a steady stream of income, so Greg\'s Solo 's generous offer provided a solution to both of these problems.

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Amanda Bridges wrote:
Mike Negut wrote:
Yeah, exactly, it had always been a dream to play and travel with a legitimate band, but in this economy, I needed a steady stream of income, so Greg\'s Solo 's generous offer provided a solution to both of these problems.

K

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum