The Tunehead Tavern
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish!

You are not connected. Please login or register

It's that time - Travelin' Again: The Legacy Continues - OFFICIAL SUBFORUM

+3
Krunk Fact
WhatIthought189
Bridges
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

It's been a great while - but we have now arrived at a special time for the tunedom. Amanda, kick the lights, I'll grab the wine, and I hope everyone gathers round' for this time honored tradition.

It's that time - Travelin' Again: The Legacy Continues - OFFICIAL SUBFORUM Screen10

Yep, you all know what that means. For the "old-tuneheads" (humorously now called "Oldheads" by some) this should be a familiar sight - but to the "new tuneheads" I will explain.

We devotees of TGOE have followed Greg from the "Days of Rold", have seen TGOE since they were an acoustic Airhead coverband to being a band who delivers genre-bending light shows that rival Dark Side of the Moon. I still remember the day that Greg told me that he didn't want to be "his Dad's airhead coverband" anymore - no, he had dreams for music of his own. I gave Greg a lift home that night and he asked if he could play his first cassette in my little red 1983 Datsun. Driving home I was transported to another world - one I had never visited before while listening to music. Greg was worried -- did he really have the talent for something here? (I'm honored to have the cassette's only copy).  

I told him, no, it was more than something, it was a revolution - a musical one. That cassette was the "enchantment demos", which Greg mostly recorded during Airhead soundchecks in bars and in the laundry room of his apartment complex - but it was magical. I told him there was no genre in the music he showed me, for he had revolutionized all genres into one. Since that time, we made it a time honored tradition for Greg to show me his complete albums ahead of each release. He's had a different feeling about each one. With the Sounds Demo, it was hopefulness and soul searching (after his father's passing). With Sounds, it was a satisfied disbelief and exhaustion. With Galore, it was vulnerability (he wondered if Galore was even salvageable - or if he should smash every tape in existence - I encouraged him to release it) - and with Pencil Enchantment, it was happy reminiscing. So happy it inspired him to record with Rold for the next year.

This morning, Greg texted me a selfie with him and his uber driver with the words ("ready for a drive?") - and I knew it was going to be a good day. I cancelled lunch with Amanda (thanks for understanding, sweetie!) and took the Datsun out from a garage. It was time for a listen, and I knew it was going to be a good day.

My full, track by track review (as is tradition) is coming shortly. Until then, I will post what's been publicly released and happily announce the birth of a new sub-forum (for "Unrelased" is no longer valid for conversations about this album), for Travelin' Again will be out in days. Plus, it would be incorrect to refer to the album in future tense, because they've now played it for someone (me!)

All I will say right now is that you are all in for an outstanding HOUR LONG treat. As biased as I might be, I can objectively say that this might be the Magnum Opus of Greg\'s Solo (until the next album, he-he).

Here's the gorgeous and ponderous OFFICIAL album cover (released on social media):

It's that time - Travelin' Again: The Legacy Continues - OFFICIAL SUBFORUM 64955410

And finally, a MUSIC VIDEO of their album's single, Bermuda Joyride:

Bridges' out.

Last edited by Bridges on Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

I never thought I'd see the day...Bermuda has me intrigued. I will say I'm disappointed in the return of metal influences on the song but the truck noise really added some flavor that would have been missing otherwise. Could this album be a potential return to form? I gotta ask Bridges, how much "words" are on this album. They ruined Galore and I will not be happy if they ruin what could be their masterpiece. Also, I heard rumors of bonus tracks, will we finally get an official release of the long awaited Greg-Christopherson version of Nordic Storm??

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

WhatIthought189 wrote:I never thought I'd see the day...Bermuda has me intrigued. I will say I'm disappointed in the return of metal influences on the song but the truck noise really added some flavor that would have been missing otherwise. Could this album be a potential return to form? I gotta ask Bridges, how much "words" are on this album. They ruined Galore and I will not be happy if they ruin what could be their masterpiece. Also, I heard rumors of bonus tracks, will we finally get an official release of the long awaited Greg-Christopherson version of Nordic Storm??

That opening acoustic-riff in Bermuda sure sounds like Greg's returning to form, doesn't it? I struggle to think of anything that would sound more quintessential Greg.

So, words. We'll talk (he-he) about them. Rest assured, I think actual lyrics have slightly declined since Galore. Words, on the other hand, are way, way up. Don't worry! I would have been skeptical at that description too but it works on this album, it really does.

There are 5 bonus tracks (around 15 minutes total, bringing the whole album to 27 songs that span 75 minutes of new content! Wow, right?) However, the rumors appear just to be that, that version of Nordic may not be on this release (but perhaps, one later this year? Muhahaha).

Krunk Fact

Krunk Fact

Could u tell us what grade u would give the album?

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Are you f'n kidding me!!!!!! This is bullshit, they wait almost ten years to put this out and the least they could do is throw us old heads a bone with a song we've been waiting on an official release since the Honky Tonk Bootlegs!!!! And quit playing coy with this words bullshit Bridges, you made the same empty promises around the release of Galore. I bet this was all that bastard Berry's idea. #notmytgoe

Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee

WhatIthought189 wrote:Are you f'n kidding me!!!!!! This is bullshit, they wait almost ten years to put this out and the least they could do is throw us old heads a bone with a song we've been waiting on an official release since the Honky Tonk Bootlegs!!!! And quit playing coy with this words bullshit Bridges, you made the same empty promises around the release of Galore. I bet this was all that bastard Berry's idea. #notmytgoe

Can we please ban him already? Bridges, I'm begging you.

Anyways, back on topic. Any word on Tom Collins's departure and how much of his contributions did Greg keep?

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

Krunk Fact wrote:Could u tell us what grade u would give the album?

Great question, Sam. I've never been a big believer in grades (how can one's worth be decided by a simple letter?) so I hope numbered ratings are okay!

Ask me again in a week (and a month, and maybe even a year), but the score that makes sense to me is a 9.3/10. It's so good. One of the tracks metaphorically sounds like they invented time travel and recorded it in the SoT sessions (no joke!). I can't wait to talk about it more.

For a reference, this is how I'd rate their other releases:

Enchantment: 10/10
Sounds Demos: 9.5/10
Sounds: 9/10
Honky Tonk Bootlegs: 9/10
Galore: 7/10
One Night in Pocatello: Introducing the Experience: 8/10
Pencil Enchantment: 7.5/10

Will it one day surpass my love for the Sounds Demos. Ask me in a year, but for now I'm on the third listen of my cassette, muhahaha!

Last edited by Bridges on Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

WhatIthought189 wrote:Are you f'n kidding me!!!!!! This is bullshit, they wait almost ten years to put this out and the least they could do is throw us old heads a bone with a song we've been waiting on an official release since the Honky Tonk Bootlegs!!!! And quit playing coy with this words bullshit Bridges, you made the same empty promises around the release of Galore. I bet this was all that bastard Berry's idea. #notmytgoe

Eric, buddy! Calm down, please. You have to trust me here.

Let me try to cheer you up. If I honestly could give the album an MVP, it would go to (besides Greg, of course), David Andrew Pilsby. He elevated each track he was a part of and you can tell was fully committed to Greg's sound. We may never know if he did any writing on the track, as Greg said he was so pleased with everyone that every songwriter credit will simply go to "TGOE". Cheer up, man. You have a lot to look forward to!

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Jimmy Lee wrote:

I'm a big baby who can't take constructive criticism of my pwcious band!!

Bridges wrote:

Let me try to cheer you up. If I honestly could give the album an MVP, it would go to (besides Greg, of course), David Andrew Pilsby. He elevated each track he was a part of and you can tell was fully committed to Greg's sound. We may never know if he did any writing on the track, as Greg said he was so pleased with everyone that every songwriter credit will simply go to "TGOE". Cheer up, man. You have a lot to look forward to!

And as for this, my only response is David freakin' Pillsby is your idea of trying to cheer me up?? The guy who has been mailing in his live performances since Greg rightfully bumped off the egotisically named "Pillsby's Reprise" version of Worldly Progressions off the official Galore tracklist for years? Why hasn't Greg fired his ass anyways, we saw what Greg can do on the piano on Gullible's Travels and Westward to Nowhere and that definitely sounds like him on Bermuda. I'm worried about you Bridges, I used to respect you. Now...I'm not so sure. #notmytgoe

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

WhatIthought189 wrote:
Jimmy Lee wrote:

I'm a big baby who can't take constructive criticism of my pwcious band!!

Bridges wrote:

And as for this, my only response is David freakin' Pillsby is your idea of trying to cheer me up?? The guy who has been mailing in his live performances since Greg rightfully bumped off the egotisically named "Pillsby's Reprise" version of Worldly Progressions off the official Galore tracklist for years? Why hasn't Greg fired his ass anyways, we saw what Greg can do on the piano on Gullible's Travels and Westward to Nowhere and that definitely sounds like him on Bermuda. I'm worried about you Bridges, I used to respect you. Now...I'm not so sure. #notmytgoe

Eric... friend, I don't know what to say.

Krunk Fact

Krunk Fact

Bridges wrote:

Great question, Sam. I've never been a big believer in grades (how can one's worth be decided by a simple letter?) so I hope numbered ratings are okay!

Ask me again in a week (and a month, and maybe even a year), but the score that makes sense to me is a 9.3/10. It's so good. One of the tracks metaphorically sounds like they invented time travel and recorded it in the SoT sessions (no joke!). I can't wait to talk about it more.

Will it one day surpass my love for the Sounds Demos. Ask me in a year, but for now I'm on the third listen of my cassette, muhahaha!

2 more questions..

One, what were the songs on enchantment? Have we heard em all?
What did Amanda think of travelin again?

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

Krunk Fact wrote:
Bridges wrote:

2 more questions..

One, what were the songs on enchantment? Have we heard em all?
What did Amanda think of travelin again?

The enchantment playlist is what I think of when I think of "quintessential Greg" (whoever speculated on Musicbranz got it so wrong... I'm still not happy about that).

I still listen to it about twice a week.

1. Nordic Storm (7:00 minute jam version they did during a soundcheck).
2. Counting Sheep (Airhead Cover - but the first time it sounded like a GREG song)
3. Celtic Tango/Arabic Ensemble (back when they were one track)
4. Intercity Dirge
5. Westward to Nowhere (I was speechless through this)
6. Gullible Demo (first half of what was on Pencil)
7. Jam Session (not sure if I would call this a song - kind of like ELO's fire on high combined with Worldly Progressions. This one probably has Christopherson's best work and it pains me that I can't share it with you all)
8. Tainted Importance (this is when I told him that he was truly onto something).

There's been a lot of drama about Christopherson not giving Greg the rights to put some of these tracks on Sounds (some of Nordic & all of the Jam Sessions and Tainted), but it's important to remember that these recordings were done during sound checks and none of the band were really thinking about these recordings ever being on album. Bootlegs of Tainted are what made the fans want more - and now maybe Christopherson would make that happen (he never got the credit he deserved for allowing it on Pencil Enchantment).

BLACK WALL

BLACK WALL

Jeff, this is getting pathetic. You have allowed WIT to cuss out multiple members of the community (Amanda included) because you happen to agree with his terrible opinions. Either let people rightly call out WIT (you’ve repeatedly disciplined James for rightly putting WIT in his place) or give everyone the same moderation.

WIT, this isn’t my place - but I’m worried, man? TGOE has always been a small town band and we likely make up a third of their following. To be this passionate, angry and obsessed with every detail of the band doesn’t seem healthy in the slightest.

Ready to see the band again at Sandbaggers. Wondering how they’d pull off things like Shimmy and Joyride on the stage.

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

BLACK WALL wrote:Jeff, this is getting pathetic. You have allowed WIT to cuss out multiple members of the community (Amanda included) because you happen to agree with his terrible opinions. Either let people rightly call out WIT (you’ve repeatedly disciplined James for rightly putting WIT in his place) or give everyone the same moderation.

WIT, this isn’t my place - but I’m worried, man? TGOE has always been a small town band and we likely make up a third of their following. To be this passionate, angry and obsessed with every detail of the band doesn’t seem healthy in the slightest.

Ready to see the band again at Sandbaggers. Wondering how they’d pull off things like Shimmy and Joyride on the stage.

Folks this wasn't an easy decision but I have decided to suspend BLACK WALL for 24 hours for his repeated harassment of myself and other users. We don't tolerate this kind of behavior on the forum. This is happy place for discussions of the music and joy that TGOE bring into our lives. WIT and myself have been targets by BLACK WALL and James for months now and while I love and respect them I do not tolerate trolling. WIT and I have worked out our differences over coffee this morning and there was absolutely no need to continue pouring gasoline on the fire. Anyways, sorry for the diversion. Anymore questions or predictions about the music?

Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee

So, Amanda. What did you think of the album?

Amanda Bridges

Amanda Bridges

I didn’t get an invite to the ride - sadly. Some traditions are just for “Greg and the hubby.”

I had wine and watched the Handmaid’s Tale on Netflix. In all seriousness, I’m excited about the album. Christopherson told me that it’s the first recording has the same energy as the Enchantment cassettes - so I’m excited - even if I am waiting, as per usual.

Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee

Mm, that is exciting. You and Jeff are aware that Enchantment isn’t my cup of tea (I’ll never listen to it “for fun”) but there is a rawness and energy to it (some comes from Greg and Christopherson’s banter) that makes it a fun listen when I come over.

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Jimmy Lee wrote:Mm, that is exciting. You and Jeff are aware that Enchantment isn’t my cup of tea (I’ll never listen to it “for fun”) but there is a rawness and energy to it (some comes from Greg and Christopherson’s banter) that makes it a fun listen when I come over.

Did I...did I just read this correctly? This new head moron has actually listened to Enchantment? Who gave him permission? I have it on authority to email Greg about this. This is pure piracy. Only Bridges is allowed access and he gets to decide who can hear it ON GREG'S ORDERS!! Last time I checked Jimmy that didn't include you. I have to call your credibility into question because no one who has heard ENCHANTMENT WOULD EVER TALK SHIT ON IT AND PRAISE GALORE!!!

Stubbes

Stubbes

Is Mississippi Swamp the same as Missoula Swamp? I like Kip.

Amanda Bridges

Amanda Bridges

WhatIthought189 wrote:
Jimmy Lee wrote:Mm, that is exciting. You and Jeff are aware that Enchantment isn’t my cup of tea (I’ll never listen to it “for fun”) but there is a rawness and energy to it (some comes from Greg and Christopherson’s banter) that makes it a fun listen when I come over.

Did I...did I just read this correctly? This new head moron has actually listened to Enchantment? Who gave him permission? I have it on authority to email Greg about this. This is pure piracy. Only Bridges is allowed access and he gets to decide who can hear it ON GREG'S ORDERS!! Last time I checked Jimmy that didn't include you. I have to call your credibility into question because no one who has heard ENCHANTMENT WOULD EVER TALK SHIT ON IT AND PRAISE GALORE!!!

Ah, it wasn't a big deal, Eric. We just had a wine and cheese night and Greg wanted to play the cassette for everyone there. It was a good time and Jimmy and Greg really hit it off.

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Amanda Bridges wrote:
WhatIthought189 wrote:

Ah, it wasn't a big deal, Eric. We just had a wine and cheese night and Greg wanted to play the cassette for everyone there. It was a good time and Jimmy and Greg really hit it off.

BETRAYAL!!! BETRAYAL!!! BETRAYAL!!! BETRAYAL!!

WHY WASN'T I INVITED!!!! I AM THE MOST LOYAL TUNEHEAD!! I HAVE BEEN THERE SINCE THE BEGINNING!! I WAS THERE THE NIGHT THE LIGHTS WENT OUT AT SANDBAGGER'S!! AND YET I WASN'T INVITED TO AN ENCHANTMENT LISTENING PARTY!!! IS THIS BECAUSE I RIGHTFULLY TOLD MATT NEGUT HIS PLAYING ON GALORE WAS SUBPAR AT BEST TO HIS FACE?? I'M SORRY I'M SO REAL!! HAVE FUN WITH THESE FAKE HEADS LIKE JIMMY LEE AND BUM WALL.

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

Jimmy and Stubbes, great questions!

Jimmy, Tom still has a presence on the album. I can confirm that his version of Mississippi made it on the album over Kip’s. Kip’s version is now called Missoula Swamp and is a bonus track. I believe he may be featured on a couple more tracks but they’d be more in a backing vocal capacity. His version of Turkish is a bonus track. His version of Moscow is NOT on the album but Greg alluded that he may release an EP with additional outtakes (like Pencil) so it may appear there.

Stubbes, the swamps are different songs but have near identical introductions (< 30 sec).

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

I AM TOTALLY FINISHED WITH THIS FORUM, BRIDGES IF YOU WANT TO BE A SELL OUT THAT’S FINE!! IT’S CLEAR I’M NOT WANTED. HAVE FUN HANGING OUT WITH DOLTS WHO THINK FLIGHT OF THE CANINES IS GREAT MUSIC

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

Hey all! This topic served as a great place for the big announcement. I am going to move discussion to the official album discussion thread.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum