The Tunehead Tavern
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish!

You are not connected. Please login or register

***** Travelin' Again: OFFICIAL Discussion Thread *****

+4
Stubbes
WhatIthought189
Bridges
Jimmy Lee
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee

I couldn't wait much longer, let's have the official album discussion here:
***** Travelin' Again: OFFICIAL Discussion Thread ***** F2eaec10

I'm at Icelandic Crevasse - and I have to say, I think they pulled it off. This album is fun. Bridges was right in his praise for MDN. MDN carries the concept of a radio DJ and turns it up to an 11 with his banter, wit and reflection. The minutes long, painful obnoxious stretches present in Galore are simply brief excursions here, and they bring you back into the fore with fun hooks that keep you listening for more.

The album jumps to different genres with each track - but with MDN leading the way - it works. Bridges' praise for Pilsby was also spot on.

Take a bow, TGOE. Greg, you led them to something fun here!"

Full album can be heard here: https://tgoesounds.bandcamp.com/album/travelin-again-the-legacy-continues

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

Haha! I joked in the chain e-mail yesterday that Amanda and I would be at her nephew’s birthday party and that I’d start a Viking WAR against anyone who started the discussion thread before me. I was only (mostly) kidding! Here’s to new traditions and all that.

The album gets better with every listen for me. So happy to see the response that it’s getting from the tunedom.

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

I see now that you were not on the list for my last mass e-mail, Jim. WIT, you’re in charge of the mailing list - any clue what might of happened?

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Bridges wrote:I see now that you were not on the list for my last mass e-mail, Jim. WIT, you’re in charge of the mailing list - any clue what might of happened?

Oh. Too bad, he missed out on some important news not that he would have really understood the references. Should be there now.

Stubbes

Stubbes

Kip's playing should have been louder on Scandinavian Festival.

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

WhatIthought189 wrote:
Bridges wrote:I see now that you were not on the list for my last mass e-mail, Jim. WIT, you’re in charge of the mailing list - any clue what might of happened?

Oh. Too bad, he missed out on some important news not that he would have really understood the references. Should be there now.

You’ve really wanted a promotion this website for a while - don’t let that happen again.

Drum Solo

Kidding, of course.

I listened to East African Shimmy during my morning workout - that track has a BEAT. Jimmy - did you listen through the album last night?

Last edited by Bridges on Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Bridges wrote:
WhatIthought189 wrote:

You’ve really wanted a promotion this website for a while - don’t let that happen again.

Drum Solo

Kidding, of course.

I listened to East African Shimmy during my morning workout - that track has a BEAT.

Noted.

As for my thoughts...let's just say "DJ" Marc David Nathin made me want to chuck my earbuds across the room. His "quips" are super disrespectful to the band and once again Greg let's outside influences ruin his vision. Tracks like Utah Jazz and Portuguese Company show a brave new path forward and I don't need that ridiculed by some wannabe DJ PR man who barely knows how to promote.

Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee

[quote="Bridges"][quote="WhatIthought189"]
Bridges wrote:

I listened to East African Shimmy during my morning workout - that track has a BEAT. Jimmy - did you listen through the album last night?

Listened through it. It's fun. I don't normally to Greg "for fun" but there are a couple tracks on here that might get regular plays from me.

East African Shimmy, Canadian Traverse, Icelandic Crevasse, Bermuda Joyride, Nepali Woman, Antarctic Man and Moscow Boogie are the standouts to me, with the latter two being my favorite of the album.

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

I did my first "playthrough" last night and decided to do it with an open mind. I mostly didn't keep track of what songs were playing, and didn't jot my notes about any of the tracks. I decided to do a critical listen today, and the more I think about it, the more I'm left feeling like I did after Galore; let down.

It starts with the second track. Pocatello Throwback, An Homage to a Legacy starts with all the hallmarks of Greg's classic sound hailing from The Sounds Demos. It has Rold's classic beat paired with some synth loops that sound inspired from Greg and Livingsdale's music tastes (rather than Pilsby's). But things start going awry right away. Berry only plays Rold's classic beat for 11 seconds before deviating. After Berry straight up ignored Rold (and the band's previous style) for all of Galore, could he really only stomach 11 seconds of such a staple of the band's sound, especially in a song that's supposed to be a tribute to Greg's old style. It gets worse, in a song that's supposed to be an homage to Sounds, it only takes 95 seconds for TGOE to shove a Galore inspired section in the listeners faces. The Galore driven section lasts 33 seconds (3 times longer than Berry can keep the classic Rold sound), and like Galore is inconsequential to the rest of the track and overstays its welcome.

The track would be better if it were called Pocatello Throwback, the Legacy is Dead - because then at least its being honest. I don't know what the hell Greg (and some users here) are thinking when they pretend its an homage to anything that resembles quintessential Greg. Furthermore, what the hell is the purpose of referencing Sounds of Travel in the album title if you're immediately going to serve into a different style entirely?

I really wanted to do a critical analysis of each track today - but I could really only suffer through one track of this today. I want to like the rest, and maybe I will when I listen again - but it feels like Greg has completely lost touch with what made the Oldheads like him in the first place.

Amanda Bridges

Amanda Bridges

WhatIthought189 wrote:I did my first "playthrough" last night and decided to do it with an open mind. I mostly didn't keep track of what songs were playing, and didn't jot my notes about any of the tracks. I decided to do a critical listen today, and the more I think about it, the more I'm left feeling like I did after Galore; let down.

It starts with the second track. Pocatello Throwback, An Homage to a Legacy starts with all the hallmarks of Greg's classic sound hailing from The Sounds Demos. It has Rold's classic beat paired with some synth loops that sound inspired from Greg and Livingsdale's music tastes (rather than Pilsby's). But things start going awry right away. Berry only plays Rold's classic beat for 11 seconds before deviating. After Berry straight up ignored Rold (and the band's previous style) for all of Galore, could he really only stomach 11 seconds of such a staple of the band's sound, especially in a song that's supposed to be a tribute to Greg's old style. It gets worse, in a song that's supposed to be an homage to Sounds, it only takes 95 seconds for TGOE to shove a Galore inspired section in the listeners faces. The Galore driven section lasts 33 seconds (3 times longer than Berry can keep the classic Rold sound), and like Galore is inconsequential to the rest of the track and overstays its welcome.

The track would be better if it were called Pocatello Throwback, the Legacy is Dead - because then at least its being honest. I don't know what the hell Greg (and some users here) are thinking when they pretend its an homage to anything that resembles quintessential Greg. Furthermore, what the hell is the purpose of referencing Sounds of Travel in the album title if you're immediately going to serve into a different style entirely?

I really wanted to do a critical analysis of each track today - but I could really only suffer through one track of this today. I want to like the rest, and maybe I will when I listen again - but it feels like Greg has completely lost touch with what made the Oldheads like him in the first place.

WiT, I told you at Sandbagger's that I was worried that no matter what Greg released, you were going to convince yourself to be disappointed - and I think this post is an example of how that happens.

You argue that Berry clearly doesn't want to play Rold's beat, but Berry plays Rold's beat for an entire song later in the album in Mississippi Swamp, which I believe may be the longest song that beat is featured in over Greg's catalog.

You also ridicule the fact that Greg had a "galore inspired section" but I'm pretty clear that vocal passage intended to serve as an album opening message that Greg is back. Influences from Sounds on this album wear themselves on their sleeves and are present in the majority of the tracks, even Nepali Woman, Antarctic Man seems to feature a slowed down bass-line that sounds directly inspired by Nordic Storm.

I'm very happy with the album. Went in with low expectations after Galore and the band cleared each one. Bravo, TGOE!

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Amanda Bridges wrote:
WhatIthought189 wrote:I did my first "playthrough" last night and decided to do it with an open mind. I mostly didn't keep track of what songs were playing, and didn't jot my notes about any of the tracks. I decided to do a critical listen today, and the more I think about it, the more I'm left feeling like I did after Galore; let down.

You argue that Berry clearly doesn't want to play Rold's beat, but Berry plays Rold's beat for an entire song later in the album in Mississippi Swamp, which I believe may be the longest song that beat is featured in over Greg's catalog.

The fact that there are vocals in that song disqualifies anything Greg and Berry did to try to make the song an homage to the first album.

Sgt_Blufly

Sgt_Blufly

Bridges told me I had to listen to this album as a requirement for joining and I gotta say this stuff is truly Bizarre with a capital B! The only song that got me tapping my toe was Outback Steakhouse, I liked the message of the song. Always enjoy a good steak with a bloomin' onion.

13***** Travelin' Again: OFFICIAL Discussion Thread ***** Empty Damn NOOBS! Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:17 pm

Tunehead Man

Tunehead Man

I may be a new member of this form but ill tel u all that this is the best greg album in years considering the horrible depature thet was made on PENCIL!

wne I heard a new album was coming I was telling my head "OH YEAH THIS IS GONNA BE SOME MORE BS BALONEY LIKE WESTWARD TO NOWARE"

BOY was i proved wrong

I AM THE ORIGINL TUNEHEAD!

PonderofClientelsTime

PonderofClientelsTime

I'm very curious to sit down and absorb this one. From your reactions I have treats waiting! ;-)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum