The Tunehead Tavern
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish!

You are not connected. Please login or register

John Berry

+2
Bridges
Krunk Fact
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1John Berry Empty John Berry Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:13 am

Krunk Fact

Krunk Fact

Wat does every1 think of greg's durmmer? I like him. Very Happy

2John Berry Empty Re: John Berry Tue May 08, 2012 5:22 pm

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

This is one of the few occasions that I will ever speak critically of The Greg\'s Solo Experience, but while John is an excellent drummer, I believe his Grindie influences may be distorting the focus of the band. I will be the first to admit that Adam Rold's ability is no match for Berry's technical prowess, but I can not but feel that the band felt more whole with Rold sitting in the drummer's throne. I worry that the constant tussles between Greg\'s Solo and Berry are beginning to seep into the band's creative output. A few of the songs on Galore lacked creative focus, (and a few of the tracks almost led to the band's demise.) John is an incredible drummer and is starting to become an impressive songwriter, but I am not convinced that TGOE is the place for him.

Okay, criticism over, I am sure I may be bashed for this post, please understand that I have nothing but respect for Mr. Berry!

3John Berry Empty Re: John Berry Tue May 08, 2012 5:25 pm

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Bridges wrote:This is one of the few occasions that I will ever speak critically of The Greg\'s Solo Experience, but while John is an excellent drummer, I believe his Grindie influences may be distorting the focus of the band.

John Berry 54RLs

4John Berry Empty Re: John Berry Mon May 14, 2012 2:52 pm

Amanda Bridges

Amanda Bridges

This is the only time I'm ever going to openly disagree with my hubby, but I have always thought John Berry took The Greg\'s Solo Experience to another level. Adam Rold is an incredibly nice person, and I will always respect his contributions to the band, but let's face it, he was a poor drummer, and could never keep a live tempo. An example of this can be seen in their live release of "Intercity Dirge," the entire second half of the track falls apart because Rold's tempo was all over the place throughout the performance.

Conversely, I have had no complaints with John Berry's contributions in both the studio and in Greg\'s Solo 's live performances. I would rank Swedish Disco Jam and Flight of the Canines among Greg\'s Solo 's top tracks, I've grown to believe that because John wasn't involved with Tainted/won't create a song like it, that many around here will never appreciate his value to the band.

Keep beatin' that drum, John! John Berry Smilie%20drum

5John Berry Empty Re: John Berry Mon May 14, 2012 10:26 pm

Krunk Fact

Krunk Fact

Amanda Bridges wrote:This is the only time I'm ever going to openly disagree with my hubby, but I have always thought John Berry took The Greg\'s Solo Experience to another level. Adam Rold is an incredibly nice person, and I will always respect his contributions to the band, but let's face it, he was a poor drummer, and could never keep a live tempo. An example of this can be seen in their live release of "Intercity Dirge," the entire second half of the track falls apart because Rold's tempo was all over the place throughout the performance.

Conversely, I have had no complaints with John Berry's contributions in both the studio and in Greg\'s Solo 's live performances. I would rank Swedish Disco Jam and Flight of the Canines among Greg\'s Solo 's top tracks, I've grown to believe that because John wasn't involved with Tainted/won't create a song like it, that many around here will never appreciate his value to the band.

Keep beatin' that drum, John! John Berry Smilie%20drum

lol u guys r married?

6John Berry Empty Re: John Berry Mon May 14, 2012 10:44 pm

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Amanda Bridges wrote:I would rank Swedish Disco Jam and Flight of the Canines among Greg\'s Solo 's top tracks,

John Berry Zjwo4

7John Berry Empty Re: John Berry Tue May 15, 2012 9:41 pm

BLACK WALL

BLACK WALL

WhatIthought189 wrote:
Amanda Bridges wrote:I would rank Swedish Disco Jam and Flight of the Canines among Greg\'s Solo 's top tracks,

John Berry Zjwo4

Y dont u like Berry?

8John Berry Empty Re: John Berry Tue May 15, 2012 9:50 pm

Amanda Bridges

Amanda Bridges

WhatIthought189 wrote:

John Berry Zjwo4

Are you just going to ignore to my arguments again? I think I see a trend here..

9John Berry Empty Re: John Berry Sun May 20, 2012 3:19 pm

Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee

LOL, Rold was ****ing TERRIBLE, it takes true talent to **** up the tempo to Intercity Dirge. Lol @ anyone who's disillusioned enough to yearn for the "Days of Rold."

10John Berry Empty Re: John Berry Mon May 21, 2012 1:43 am

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

JoeyPeters wrote:LOL, Rold was ****ing TERRIBLE, it takes true talent to **** up the tempo to Intercity Dirge. Lol @ anyone who's disillusioned enough to yearn for the "Days of Rold."

A lot of people said the same thing about Ringo Starr back in the 60's, but the Beatles would not have been The Beatles without Ringo. No one should ever underestimate the value of solid chemistry.

11John Berry Empty Re: John Berry Mon May 21, 2012 1:44 am

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

Krunk Fact wrote: lol u guys r married?

We sure are, it will be twelve years on Friday. Smile

12John Berry Empty Re: John Berry Mon May 21, 2012 4:58 pm

Amanda Bridges

Amanda Bridges

Bridges wrote:
Krunk Fact wrote: lol u guys r married?

We sure are, it will be twelve years on Friday. Smile

Smile

13John Berry Empty Re: John Berry Mon May 21, 2012 5:04 pm

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Jimmy Lee wrote:LOL, Rold was ****ing TERRIBLE, it takes true talent to **** up the tempo to Intercity Dirge. Lol @ anyone who's disillusioned enough to yearn for the "Days of Rold."

Yeah, and John doesn't seem to know that this is the GREG OLSEN Experience, Greg hired Berry to be a drummer and to carry out Greg's vision for the band, but, instead, we now have a drummer who has this misplaced self-entitlement and is more and more trying to shape the band in his image. Here's a newsflash, John, if you want to do that, start your own mother****king band, otherwise, GTFO of the Greg Olsen Experience.

14John Berry Empty Re: John Berry Mon May 21, 2012 8:12 pm

Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee

Bridges wrote:A lot of people said the same thing about Ringo Starr back in the 60's, but the Beatles would not have been The Beatles without Ringo. No one should ever underestimate the value of solid chemistry.

One of the bands you mentioned is the Beatles, and the other is the Greg Olsen Experience, these two bands should never, ever be compared. Secondly, what ****ing chemistry are you referring to? Are you referring to the breathtaking lack of chemistry heard on the live release of Intercity Dirge? Because I suppose that was spectacular in it's own way.

In the two occasions I've seen this band live, the chemistry exhibited in both live performances dwarfed any live or studio work I've heard from Mr. Rold. Berry is fastidious about recreating Greg's studio sound, and I have yet to be disappointed.

WhatIthought189 wrote:
Yeah, and John doesn't seem to know that this is the GREG OLSEN Experience, Greg hired Berry to be a drummer and to carry out Greg's vision for the band, but, instead, we now have a drummer who has this misplaced self-entitlement and is more and more trying to shape the band in his image. Here's a newsflash, John, if you want to do that, start your own mother****king band, otherwise, GTFO of the Greg Olsen Experience.

Someone's still pining for "Rold's Gold" I see, tell me, what masterpieces has Berry prevented Greg from creating over the past two years? If anything, Greg was much more of an obstructionist when he released "Galore," (The title track, EST, and Mating still contained unfinished tracks from the rest of the band.)

Now tell, me, honestly, when has Berry ever done something as remotely outrageous as Greg's actions here? (I will not even delve into the debauchery that was "Sounds of Travel.") Trust me, "Mute Mongrel, WDTDCMN, and The Walkin' Shepherd were definitively Greg, and like always, the songs meandered, had no focus, and were among the low points of the album.

It's becoming increasingly clear that you're simply in denial about the fact that Berry (and Negut's) "Flight of the Canines" trumps anything that Greg has ever created. (And, before you cry out "Tainted Importance," every sign points to the fact that Christopherson was responsible for the entire composition.) Sure, Greg can make whatever poor decision he wants to with the band, but that doesn't stop me from deriving much more enjoyment from Berry's compositions than I do from Gregs.)

Anyways, I'm done arguing about this, we quarreled about this regularly on the old forum, and I've decided not to engage in this pointless venture any longer.

15John Berry Empty Re: John Berry Tue May 22, 2012 2:28 am

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Jimmy Lee wrote:
John Berry NigaHigaBLAH

I'd like to organize my rebuttal into six basic steps,

1. Antifreeze. Drink it.

2. Quit being so fucking hypocritical in your stance about TGOE, you admit that it's Greg's band, so accept that he can do whatever he wants to with its music.

3. Your Tainted Importance hypothesis is completely baseless.

4. If you enjoy Berry's compositions more than Gregs, than this band is as good as it's going to get, the only reason Berry even had a chance as a musician was because of Greg salaried him to play in his band. I could not care less that Greg launched Galore before Berry and Negut's tracks were "completed," Berry will never be in any position to make any more demands to Greg Olsen.

5. The Walkin' Shepherd was BY FAR the best track on Galore, it was only hampered by Berry's idiotic poundings in the background. Nevertheless, that acoustic outro is the most impressive musical composition written and performed by Greg/Negut.

6. Antifreeze. Again.

16John Berry Empty Re: John Berry Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:20 pm

Amanda Bridges

Amanda Bridges

WhatIthought189 wrote:
Jimmy Lee wrote:
John Berry NigaHigaBLAH

6. Antifreeze. Again.

In Galore, which are the stronger songs?

Group A:

Flight of the Canines
Worldly Progressions (Pillsby's Reprise)
Birth of the Collie

Group B:

A Remembrance
The Walkin' Shepherd
Mute Mongrel
Why did the Dog Call My Name?

One group features songs where Greg doesn't have a writing credit, the other group are songs where Greg was the SOLE songwriter. Which songs are better?

17John Berry Empty Re: John Berry Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:46 pm

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Amanda Bridges wrote:
WhatIthought189 wrote:
Jimmy Lee wrote:
John Berry NigaHigaBLAH

6. Antifreeze. Again.

Group A:

Flight of the Canines
Birth of the Collie

Group B:

A Remembrance
The Walkin' Shepherd
Mute Mongrel

One group features songs where Greg doesn't have a writing credit, the other group are songs where Greg was the SOLE songwriter. Which songs are better?

Your arguments are as asinine as the first time, but sure let's play this game again. Flight of the Canines is pure garbage from start to finish, easily my least favorite song Greg has ever slapped his name on. Greg was right to fire Berry for daring to compose and record that behind his back and the only mistake he made was hiring Berry back for that disaster of a final tour. I'm not even going to bother responding to the claims about Pillsby's Reprise, yet again another musician bullying Greg. At least in this instance Greg knew to keep that off the tracklist and put it as a bonus track, it barely qualifies as a TGOE song. It's basically David Pillsby practicing for his supposed "solo project" he keeps threatening to inflict on this world for years now. How's that going for you Pillsby? And we all know Collie is only as good as it is because of Greg's masterful guitar picking, it might as well be a rewrite of Mating. Any more points for me to own with logic?

18John Berry Empty Re: John Berry Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:03 pm

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

WhatIthought189 wrote:
Amanda Bridges wrote:
WhatIthought189 wrote:
Jimmy Lee wrote:
John Berry NigaHigaBLAH

6. Antifreeze. Again.

Group A:

Flight of the Canines
Birth of the Collie

Group B:

A Remembrance
The Walkin' Shepherd
Mute Mongrel

Your arguments are as asinine as the first time, but sure let's play this game again. Flight of the Canines is pure garbage from start to finish, easily my least favorite song Greg has ever slapped his name on. Greg was right to fire Berry for daring to compose and record that behind his back and the only mistake he made was hiring Berry back for that disaster of a final tour. I'm not even going to bother responding to the claims about Pillsby's Reprise, yet again another musician bullying Greg. At least in this instance Greg knew to keep that off the tracklist and put it as a bonus track, it barely qualifies as a TGOE song. It's basically David Pillsby practicing for his supposed "solo project" he keeps threatening to inflict on this world for years now. How's that going for you Pillsby? And we all know Collie is only as good as it is because of Greg's masterful guitar picking, it might as well be a rewrite of Mating. Any more points for me to own with logic?

WIT, buddy. I hate to take ya to task like this - but when we saw Greg perform Flight for the first time (this was before the album release) you said that "you needed to think about it, but that this might be their best song since Nordic".

What happened to that thought, bud?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum