The Tunehead Tavern
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tidbits...

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Tidbits... Empty Tidbits... Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:16 pm

Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee

Ran into a band member at work today and shot the shit for a while. Learned some interesting tidbits about the new album. Y’all can probably figure out who I talked to (or maybe not). He was quite casual and matter of fact about things, no reason to suspect the veracity of this info.

1. The album’s release was delayed from winter primarily due to two tracks. Both tracks had a tug of war between Tom Collins and the rest of the band. Collins apparently had different versions of Turkish Delight (basically a solo song that scrapped the work done by the rest of the band & Delphine Gaffe) and turned in spoken word lyrics for Moscow Boogie which my source said “sounded like mumble rap, without the rap.” My source said the band started calling TC mumbles during the breakdown.

2. Collins and Gaffe (interestingly) really got into it over Turkish and Moscow (interestingly). Apparently the rest of the band was resigned to Greg folding to “Phil’s family royalty.” But Gaffe discovered Tom Collins wasn’t Phil Collins brother after finding him making posts about “conning a trust fund band leader” on Facebook. Greg was so livid he fired Collins that day. The stuff Collins and Greg did is apparently still gonna be on the album but his Turkish and Moscow will not make the cut (but may be bonuses).

3. The band considers Gaffe to be a full time member now. While she came from her ability to speak French she is a full blown Cello player and can hold her own with Berry and Negut.

4. Cristopherson is “sorta” back. “He tends to split his time between Bingo and TGOE with zero consistency.” Apparently he’s still fantastic on guitar but has been mum about touring.

5. Expect little banjo on the album. My source was upset about this. Said it’s like losing a piece of the band’s sound. Shelling and Greg fell out when the rest of the band fell out with Greg but never made amends. The final straw that kept him from coming with Greg choosing he, Negut and Collins’ version of Miss. Swamp over Kip and Negut’s. Rest of the band tried to reach out to Shelling and really miss him - but it is what it is. My source said they worked really hard to still feature some of Kip’s past demos (with his blessing) on a “track or two” on the album.

6. Was emphatic that this album is the best they’ve ever been a part of and they all put in their “all.” No throwaway tracks on this album.

7. Source said the album will come “sooner rather than later. Much sooner”. Said they had a mysterious guest vocalist come in and nail Moscow “in one take”. Which was basically thought to be impossible with Collins’ demands and “schedule.”

I thought this was weird. But Livingsdale wasn’t mastering this album originally. Tom Collins was (wtf?) Tom is refusing to master it now so a “mastered re-release” will come about a month (lolwtf) after the “original album” (wat does this even mean?)

Anywho. It’s up to you to believe it, or not. Personally I’m stoked.

2Tidbits... Empty Re: Tidbits... Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:20 pm

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Jimmy Lee wrote:

5. Expect little banjo on the album.

6. Was emphatic that this album is the best they’ve ever been a part of and they all put in their “all.” No throwaway tracks on this album.

mutually exclusive
: being related such that each excludes or precludes the other.

I feel conflicted about this news (if true). Usually I want the other members of TGOE to shut up and listen to the boss. However, Shelling was there during the Days of Rold - and is the member who has been there the second longest besides Greg (not counting Cristopherson). Shelling's licks really are a treat live and an established tradition in their live sets. Shelling's also just a geniune dude and has earned a lot of respect amongst the fans. All of this is to say I could see him and understand him getting upset if Greg shuffled his work away in favor of a turdburger like Tom Collins.

I hate it when I’m right, but again I’m seeing ZERO mention of Pilsby when people are hyping the album. His absence should start to be noted even by his devotees at this point. Is it true he doesn’t have a single writing credit this album? Sad!

About your source - if fans of Greg call themselves Tuneheads - would you consider yourself a Dingleberry?

3Tidbits... Empty Re: Tidbits... Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:58 pm

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

WhatIthought189 wrote:
Jimmy Lee wrote:

I’m seeing ZERO mention of Pilsby when people are hyping the album. His absence should start to be noted even by his devotees at this point. Is it true he doesn’t have a single writing credit this album? Sad!

I actually brought this up with my guy. He said to rest easy, he said Pilsby was at 100%. He said the only reason Pilsby might not stand out as much just because this is the first time the rest of the band is at 100% too. Said Pilsby was one of the most enthusiastic people in each session, and that his solo project allows him to stay completely focused on TGOE when he's working with Greg.

4Tidbits... Empty Re: Tidbits... Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:04 pm

Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee

WhatIthought189 wrote:
Jimmy Lee wrote:

mutually exclusive
: being related such that each excludes or precludes the other.

WAIT - you LIKED Kip? Is that why you booed him during a live performance? Perhaps you should tone down your self-rigetous douchebaggery with the band if you actually like them (do you?)

I feel conflicted about this news (if true). Usually I want the other members of TGOE to shut up and listen to the boss. However, Shelling was there during the Days of Rold - and is the member who has been there the second longest besides Greg (not counting Cristopherson). Shelling's licks really are a treat live and an established tradition in their live sets. Shelling's also just a geniune dude and has earned a lot of respect amongst the fans. All of this is to say I could see him and understand him getting upset if Greg shuffled his work away in favor of a turdburger like Tom Collins.

This is the most objective analysis you've given in a while. To be honest my favorite conversations on the old forum were when we could talk about our love for the band in this fashion.  

About your source - if fans of Greg call themselves Tuneheads - would you consider yourself a Dingleberry?

And then you have to ruin it. Bah - you can do better than low hanging fruit like this.

5Tidbits... Empty Re: Tidbits... Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:10 pm

Amanda Bridges

Amanda Bridges

Jimmy Lee wrote:
WAIT - you LIKED Kip? Is that why you booed him during a live performance? Perhaps you should tone down your self-rigetous douchebaggery with the band if you actually like them (do you?)

Yeah - that was brutal. To be fair to WIT I think he's grown since that time but it was heartbreaking to see how that affected Kip on stage - you could tell it hurt.

And then you have to ruin it. Bah - you can do better than low hanging fruit like this.

lol! Add it to the tab.

6Tidbits... Empty Re: Tidbits... Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:13 pm

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Amanda Bridges wrote:

Yeah - that was brutal. To be fair to WIT I think he's grown since that time but it was heartbreaking to see how that affected Kip on stage - you could tell it hurt.

I resent the hell out of the fact that I'm being judged by a holier than thou piece high horse galloping **** for something I did 7 years ago (during the Galore Tour - and the booing was well-deserved).

7Tidbits... Empty Re: Tidbits... Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:16 pm

Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee

WhatIthought189 wrote:
Amanda Bridges wrote:

I resent the hell out of the fact that I'm being judged by a holier than thou piece high horse galloping **** for something I did 7 years ago (during the Galore Tour - and the booing was well-deserved).

Protip - apologize then (I know Kip, and know you haven't). The dude lives and works in town and would appreciate it - but seeing that you are still defending what you did I won't hold my breath. At the end of the day the people in this band are people. Not people who solely exist to function off of your extensive list of whims and wishes.

P.S. I love how activity on this forum always corresponds with Bridges' TGOE tuneletters via-e-mail - thanks for those, buddy!

8Tidbits... Empty Re: Tidbits... Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:54 pm

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

Jimmy Lee wrote:
WhatIthought189 wrote:
Amanda Bridges wrote:

Protip - apologize then (I know Kip, and know you haven't). The dude lives and works in town and would appreciate it - but seeing that you are still defending what you did I won't hold my breath. At the end of the day the people in this band are people. Not people who solely exist to function off of your extensive list of whims and wishes.

P.S. I love how activity on this forum always corresponds with Bridges' TGOE tuneletters via-e-mail - thanks for those, buddy!

Heya Jimmy,

Thanks for the appreciation on the newsletters, I'm always happy to pass the news along as I get it. However, I can't ignore the elephant in the room here. While I agree that WIT's past behavior in regards to Kip was less than stellar I think we all can agree that he has matured greatly since that time. There's no need to drag up the past, let's all live and let live!

As a side note, if anyone wants to join me and the wifey for a listening party at Cafe Tuscano's when the album is released we would be more than happy to grab some grub and rock out to some tunes!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum