The Tunehead Tavern
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Berry reflects on Galore & More

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Berry reflects on Galore & More Empty Berry reflects on Galore & More Mon May 10, 2021 1:56 pm

Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee

Hey all! Had a drink outside with Berry Drum Solo at Sandbagger's on Saturday (how about that weather? We'll be getting high 70's later this week, too). Berry said Greg has asked all of TGOE to get vaccinated so they can start rehearsing for a second show. Berry said his second dose is scheduled for next week(!)

But I was more fascinated with what he had to say about Galore..

1. The only track the band had rehearsed for going into the studio was Rave. Dead serious. Said they spent 8 contentious weeks in the studio that year (2010) and it was three years before they entered a studio again, 7 before they did in a productive fashion.

2. Said "Nugget" was most bothered by the lack of rehearsal. He said to compare Negut's bass lines in Galore vs. Travelin' Again. Said that after rehearsal, there is not a "close second" in the band compared to Negut's ability.

3. A lot of the title track has clips of Negut and Berry improvising. Berry said they'd often spend late nights of the studio just messing around (it's why they sometimes lose tempo with each other/Berry drags on his fills, as so much of it was improv). He said the band was shocked that these improv sessions made the album, and it was a reason the band broke up after fulfilling their contract in 2012. He said he actually enjoys listening to the title track now, as it reminds him of late night Taco Bell and sharing spiked Baja Blast with Negut. "It was miracle Greg and Livi were able to make it sound remotely like an album, it was so poorly recorded, parts of different tracks were recorded out of sync and on different devices. We were all stunned when Greg reached out in 2011 saying the album was going to release and it was time for us to fulfill our contractually obligated tour. John said Negut has never listened to Galore after its release and does not plan to. Added that Moscow Boogie and the New Nordic were the only TGOE songs he found on Negut's iPod. Berry also loves Moscow, "first TGOE song I listened to and realized 'this kicks ass!"' He said the driving riff from Moscow was found on a similar improv session that they had in 2014 like the ones they used to do for Galore "I was lucky Negut still talked to me after how I treated everyone on the Galore tour. I think everyone hated me as much as Greg by the end of it. It was toxic, and it was my fault. At the end it was Greg who was paying the big bucks to give us a studio to work in, I never respected that."

4. (Eric you better be proud of me) I pressed Berry a little bit, and he again conceded that he was the cause of the break-up. Said around Week 6 in the studio he took a stand against Greg and he led the band on a walkout after he thought they weren't being heard. "This broke the band. I sometimes think we could have had a Moscow Boogie in there if Negut and I were allowed to keep improvising like we were." He said that by the time Rave was released in 2010, everything the band had recorded for the album was "already final". They "never" went back to the studio. "I hated how our rough drafts ended up making the album, but ultimately I could have avoided that if I wasn't being such a prima donna." He said Negut and David were frustrated with Greg, but they wanted to hash it out, while John said he wanted "war."

"I was a dick." John said (repeatedly).

Overall, he's thankful to be back in the band and happy Greg has forgiven him. "We already are working on a draft for Olsecles. It's gonna be the album Galore should have been!"

Anyway, thought I'd update you all. Greg\'s Solo

2Berry reflects on Galore & More Empty Re: Berry reflects on Galore & More Fri May 14, 2021 1:58 pm

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Yawn.

3Berry reflects on Galore & More Empty Re: Berry reflects on Galore & More Fri May 14, 2021 2:06 pm

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

Jimmy Lee wrote:Hey all! Had a drink outside with Berry Drum Solo at Sandbagger's on Saturday (how about that weather? We'll be getting high 70's later this week, too). Berry said Greg has asked all of TGOE to get vaccinated so they can start rehearsing for a second show. Berry said his second dose is scheduled for next week(!)

But I was more fascinated with what he had to say about Galore..

1. The only track the band had rehearsed for going into the studio was Rave. Dead serious. Said they spent 8 contentious weeks in the studio that year (2010) and it was three years before they entered a studio again, 7 before they did in a productive fashion.

2. Said "Nugget" was most bothered by the lack of rehearsal. He said to compare Negut's bass lines in Galore vs. Travelin' Again. Said that after rehearsal, there is not a "close second" in the band compared to Negut's ability.

3. A lot of the title track has clips of Negut and Berry improvising. Berry said they'd often spend late nights of the studio just messing around (it's why they sometimes lose tempo with each other/Berry drags on his fills, as so much of it was improv). He said the band was shocked that these improv sessions made the album, and it was a reason the band broke up after fulfilling their contract in 2012. He said he actually enjoys listening to the title track now, as it reminds him of late night Taco Bell and sharing spiked Baja Blast with Negut. "It was miracle Greg and Livi were able to make it sound remotely like an album, it was so poorly recorded, parts of different tracks were recorded out of sync and on different devices. We were all stunned when Greg reached out in 2011 saying the album was going to release and it was time for us to fulfill our contractually obligated tour. John said Negut has never listened to Galore after its release and does not plan to. Added that Moscow Boogie and the New Nordic were the only TGOE songs he found on Negut's iPod. Berry also loves Moscow, "first TGOE song I listened to and realized 'this kicks ass!"' He said the driving riff from Moscow was found on a similar improv session that they had in 2014 like the ones they used to do for Galore. Said that with "a couple more weeks" noodling around in the studio, he thinks they would have been able to come up with a powerful track like Moscow for Galore." (he really liked one of the riffs Negut had come up with that made the album during their improv sesh). "Overall, I was lucky Negut still talked to me after how I treated everyone on the Galore tour. I think everyone hated me as much as Greg by the end of it. It was toxic, and it was my fault. At the end it was Greg who was paying the big bucks to give us a studio to work in, I never respected that."

4. (Eric you better be proud of me) I pressed Berry a little bit, and he again conceded that he was the cause of the break-up. Said around Week 6 in the studio he took a stand against Greg and he led the band on a walkout after he thought they weren't being heard. "This broke the band. I sometimes think we could have had a Moscow Boogie in there if Negut and I were allowed to keep improvising like we were." He said that by the time Rave was released in 2010, everything the band had recorded for the album was "already final". They "never" went back to the studio. "I hated how our rough drafts ended up making the album, but ultimately I could have avoided that if I wasn't being such a prima donna." He said Negut and David were frustrated with Greg, but they wanted to hash it out, while John said he wanted "war."

"I was a dick." John said (repeatedly).

Overall, he's thankful to be back in the band and happy Greg has forgiven him. "We already are working on a draft for Olsecles. It's gonna be the album Galore should have been!"

Anyway, thought I'd update you all. Greg\'s Solo

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum