The Tunehead Tavern
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Biggest Fears for the New Album..

+3
Krunk Fact
Bridges
WhatIthought189
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Empty Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:03 pm

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Discuss here.

2Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Empty Re: Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:20 pm

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

I didn't want this wall of text in the title post, so I'll start here.

Biggest Fears:

1. Lyrics

I really am concerned about the answers that Marc has given in his live chats concerning lyrics. For those unaware (the chats have long since disappeared and aren't available via wayback), Marc said that this album contains more lyrics than any of the others combined in a Q/A in 2016. I'm sorry, but that's just not what this band is. If I wanted chorus structures and overdramatic wordplay I'd turn on Theory of a Deadman or Twenty One Pilots

I know my opinion of Galore differs from the majority of the board - but can we agree that the Galore song featuring lyrics or spoken word were among the WORST of the last album? (WDTDCMN is a disaster) The fact that this album looks to exceed Galore in that department should concern everybody. So far what we've seen of the new album is not encouraging. For those not at their last show, the spoken word section of Canadian Traverse was one of the cringiest moments of the show (as well as the lyrics they inserted in Intercity - still, wtf).

2. John Berry

#notmyTGOE

You Berry apologists knew this was coming - but it's true. Berry was an absolute control freak in the last album - and I'm worried that rather than swallowing his pride, he's just found more covert ways to take away Greg's influence from the band. Some of MDN's commentary on song writing does not match the writing credits for the songs. There are examples where Greg is the sole songwriter where it appears Berry or other members had a considerable amount of creative control over the process. You heard me. I'm worried this album will be the first from TJBE (The John Berry experience).

3. The Bastardization of the "Revolution"

Greg has always been very clear that he wants to revolutionize what he views as a stagnant music industry by introducing transcendental concepts into his songwriting. Looking at the song-lengths, seeing the descriptions, and hearing the last few songs makes me worried he's moving away from pushing boundaries with his acoustic driven, tempo fluid style and instead is going with something that might be more "radio friendly". That ain't a music revolution, that's selling out.

I know, I know. You're going to disagree - because Berry's stuff is more surface level fun than Greg's complexities. I'm done trying to convince you of my position, one that requires deeper understanding. With that said, no matter where you are - what are your biggest fears about the upcoming album?

3Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Empty Re: Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:10 am

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

Hey there WhatIThought, can't say I agree with you here buddy. All the songs that we've heard so far have been magnificent, boundary pushing even! Are you telling me the EDM influences of Icelandic Crevasse or Nepali Woman, Antartic Man isn't a bold new direction for Greg? If I recall from those chats, Greg has been listening to hip new bands like the Chainsmokers and Skrillex and much the way that the Beatles were influenced by the Beach Boys Pet Sounds for their masterpiece Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band so to do I feel like the influences of EDM artists such as these have pushed Greg further than he's ever gone before musically and all of us tuneheads will surely be rejoicing at the finished product!

4Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Empty Re: Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:13 am

Krunk Fact

Krunk Fact

u just dont get it

5Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Empty Re: Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:31 am

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Bridges wrote: If I recall from those chats, Greg has been listening to hip new bands like the Chainsmokers and Skrillex and much the way that the Beatles were influenced by the Beach Boys

That's exactly my fear. Come on, Jeff. I know you have the same fears about Berry that I do. What are you worried about for Travelin' Again?

6Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Empty Re: Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:40 am

Amanda Bridges

Amanda Bridges

WhatIthought189 wrote:I didn't want this wall of text in the title post, so I'll start here.

Biggest Fears:

1. Lyrics

I really am concerned about the answers that Marc has given in his live chats concerning lyrics. For those unaware (the chats have long since disappeared and aren't available via wayback), Marc said that this album contains more lyrics than any of the others combined

I think that's a misread. MDN said that something he's involved in could give it more "words" than any other album - and reminded that he's not a vocalist. I don't think that signals lyrics. MDN said that JB had given Greg a metal band called Between the Buried Ones and Me to listen to, and that Greg's favorite song was a 1 minute track called Parallax, a one minute song featuring a soliloquy of sorts. We took MDN to mean Greg might have been influenced a bit there.

This was Greg's favorite track:

7Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Empty Re: Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:40 am

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

WhatIthought189 wrote:
Bridges wrote: If I recall from those chats, Greg has been listening to hip new bands like the Chainsmokers and Skrillex and much the way that the Beatles were influenced by the Beach Boys

That's exactly my fear. Come on, Jeff. I know you have the same fears about Berry that I do. What are you worried about for Travelin' Again?

Now I may have been critical of Berry in the past and I still feel like Adam Rold far outclasses him as a drummer, I can't help but feel at peace with the idea especially after my recent chat with Berry. I yearn for the Days of Rold just as much as you do WIT but we still have those memories and we can break out the old tunes any time you want in my Olsecave!

8Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Empty Re: Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:49 am

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Bridges wrote:
WhatIthought189 wrote:

Now I may have been critical of Berry in the past and I feel like I don't want to upset my wiiife, I can't help but feel at peace with the idea especially after my recent chat with Berry. I yearn for the Days of Rold just as much as you do WIT but we still have those memories and we can break out the old tunes any time you want in my Olsecave!

#notmyTGOE

One fear. Come on, bro. Spill.

Last edited by WhatIthought189 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

9Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Empty Re: Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:51 am

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

[quote="Amanda Bridges"]
WhatIthought189 wrote:I didn't want this wall of text in the title post, so I'll start here.

This was Greg's favorite track:

Great, now Berry is influencing Greg with his favorite bro metal.

10Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Empty Re: Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:41 pm

Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee

This thread is a great example of why I'd have better luck convincing /r/thedonald about the merits of Medicare for All than discuss anything with you that's TGOE related, WIT.

Amanda pointed out that MDN didn't say anything regarding actual singing on the album - and you completely ignore it while spouting off self-righteous hashtags like #notmyTGOE.

You are everything that's wrong with fandom. You have no ownership over Greg's music and Greg and the band owe you nothing. Oh, so you bought a couple of their albums and went to their shows? Great - it was your decision to do that - it gives you no power over the band.

If you want, you can break out your grade school trombone and invite Pocatello to watch you perform in the park. Wanna know who'd show up?

No one.

11Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Empty Re: Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:52 pm

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Jimmy Lee wrote:This thread is a great example of why I'd have better luck convincing /r/thedonald about the merits of Medicare for All than discuss anything with you that's TGOE related, WIT.

Amanda pointed out that MDN didn't say anything regarding actual singing on the album - and you completely ignore it while spouting off self-righteous hashtags like #notmyTGOE.

You are everything that's wrong with fandom. You have no ownership over Greg's music and Greg and the band owe you nothing. Oh, so you bought a couple of their albums and went to their shows? Great - it was your decision to do that - it gives you no power over the band.

If you want, you can break out your grade school trombone and invite Pocatello to watch you perform in the park. Wanna know who'd show up?

No one.

Jimmy you had bullied me since day one at the Tavern and I am tired of you incessantly calling me out. If you want to settle this like REAL MEN you know where to find me.

12Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Empty Re: Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:53 pm

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

Jimmy Lee wrote:This thread is a great example of why I'd have better luck convincing /r/thedonald about the merits of Medicare for All than discuss anything with you that's TGOE related, WIT.

No one.

Jimmy quite frankly I am disappointed in your treatment of WIT, we have no tolerance for bullying on this forum especially of other users. You know the rules Jimmy, don't make me deduct an Olsen buck because I will and if that doesn't stop you than maybe you need to take a break from the Tavern for a bit to think about your actions.

13Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Empty Re: Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:56 pm

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

WhatIthought189 wrote:

No one.

Jimmy you had bullied me since day one at the Tavern and I am tired of you incessantly calling me out. If you want to settle this like REAL MEN you know where to find me.

How ya doin' WIT? I know your emotions are hot and you have every right to be angry at Jimmy but remember what I taught you. You always have to turn the other cheek when others are trying to drag you down to their level. Very Happy How about you and me throw on some Pencil Recordings demos today for old times sake and maybe me you and the wifey can go to Cafe Tuscano for dinner what do you say?

14Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Empty Re: Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:26 pm

BLACK WALL

BLACK WALL

Says the guy who just EDIT'D Bridges quote to BULLY him AND his wife.

Don't dish it out if you can't take it, Eric. Bout' time someone called you out.

15Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Empty Re: Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:31 pm

Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee

Says the guy who just EDIT'D Bridges quote to BULLY him AND his wife.

Don't dish it out if you can't take it, Eric. Bout' time someone called you out.

Thought Bridges would have caught that too..

16Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Empty Re: Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:41 pm

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

Let's keep this thread on topic shall we? As far as disappointments go, I do fear a return of the metal drumming style from John Berry.

17Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Empty Re: Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:45 pm

Twizz

Lolllll wtf this shit still around?

18Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Empty Re: Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:53 pm

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

Bridges wrote:Let's keep this thread on topic shall we? As far as disappointments go, I do fear a return of the metal drumming style from John Berry.

Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Giphy

I knew you had it in ya. Can't wait for what's apparently going to be an album/audiobook double feature courtesy of Marc David Nathin.

19Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Empty Re: Biggest Fears for the New Album.. Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:05 pm

Bridges

Bridges
Admin

For whoever deducted an Olsen Buck from me, that was a bush-league move.

Kidding! Gob Dance

(Kind of)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum