The Tunehead Tavern
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Let's Get Something Straight: Adam Rold

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Let's Get Something Straight: Adam Rold Empty Let's Get Something Straight: Adam Rold Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:40 pm

Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee

Alright, everyone. In light of this disaster of a forum redesign I may as well get something off my chest and onto all of yours. I have to share a thought I had the other day about Adam Rold.

Now, you all know I respect the full lineage of this band and its members. I don't carry too many disputes with members that came and went. They don't owe us anything. But still, Rold and his legacy as a live performer with the band is something that feels unsettled. I used to claim that Rold seemed to be a crucial piece of the pie. But here's the thought I had:

Adam Rold appears on exactly ZERO recorded performances. Even after listening to the live rendition of their freestyle performance in Your Big Head... I have to conclude we are not hearing Rold perform anything at all. It could well be a very early Berry performance, even, considering how technical the playing becomes.

At this point, I don't get it. Rold's age was always questionable to me because he's what, like 93 by now? That means in 97 he was at least 70. Are we sure he ever contributed ANYTHING to this band? I'm beginning to think he was this old dude Greg used to "jam" with and maybe he helped write some demo material or something when they were transitioning away from being an Airhead cover band. I really don't know and I'm in a tailspin trying to nail down where Rold can actually be heard (other than the bonus "drum solo" on TA).

Let's air this out and determine what's really going on, here.

WhatIthought189

WhatIthought189

I see you’ve conveniently forgotten his role in their 2003 live performance of Intercity Dirge. 

Just struggled to take any of this seriously after that tbh

Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee

WhatIthought189 wrote:I see you’ve conveniently forgotten his role in their 2003 live performance of Intercity Dirge. 

Just struggled to take any of this seriously after that tbh

Oh c'mon, WIT. That might be the slowest drum beat in the world. Maybe that was decrepit ol' Rold playing, but in that case how can we ever even know that he was good or contributed a meaningful sound to this band?

Amanda Bridges

Amanda Bridges

Jimmy, I think you make some fine points and I have believed since Travelin’ Again that Berry has definitely eclipsed Rold’s contributions to the band. 

With that said, for a long while Rold has been credited with the “quintessential Greg” beat (also called Rold’s Gold). This is the primary beat (if memory serves) in Arabic Ensemble, Celtic Tango, Western Jingle (sped up), Intercity Dirge (slowed way down, of course), and Roman Interlude. That’s 5 out of the 11 tracks of the album that could be credited to Rold’s beat. John Berry himself revisits this beat on Pocatello Throwback, Mississippi/Missoula Swamp & Scandinavian Festival. I think a common criticism of Galore was the lack of consistency in the drumming in some of the tracks (I.E. some could have USED Rold’s Gold). 

I think that attachment and the attachment of Greg’s early performances is why you see such bold Rold affection. I do agree with your theory on the 97’ performance - I actually think Buck of Buck n Thad fame may be drumming on those performances!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum